MX Linux Facebook group

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: MX Linux Facebook group

#31 Post by chrispop99 »

To take your points in order:

You will never see a post anywhere unless you look for it, and the Facebook group search function works far better than the search function for this forum. No one has suggested that the Facebook group should replace the forum; I thought I had made that clear? Old timer or not, the forum and the Facebook group can both continue in parallel, and for what it's worth I'm 73, and a big user of social media in general.

Because you can only post on the Facebook group if you have been accepted, a member of the admin team has very fine-grained control over how to deal with anyone who doesn't post appropriately. It's actually easier to administer than the forum. You can delete a user's post, mute them for a period (known as being in Facebook jail), stop further commenting on a post, or ultimately kick a user off. You can do those things with or without automatic notification to the user. Oh, and it does happen!

In general, the developers are not members of that group. Where users there post things intended for the developers, it is made clear to them that they need to post in the forum. I repeat - there is no intention to replace the forum with anything else. The Facebook group has taken up a fair bit of time for a few people, but it is gradually reaching a point where there enough users with some knowledge to help each other. Far from detracting from the ability of the developers here to provide support, I like to think that the kind of first-level help the Facebook group provides is leaving the developers more able to get on with more complex issues.

The question of the community being affected by the potential manipulation of a corporate overlord is a bit far-fetched; there is an oversight of pretty much all that is done on-line (and off it) nowadays, so you would have to live off-grid to avoid it. You can avoid much of the advertising with browser add-ons.

I hope this has put your mind at rest, and perhaps reassure others that might have their doubts.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

seaken64

#32 Post by seaken64 »

Yes, mind is at ease! Like I said, I can see your point of view. I know some people are going to like the social media, or Facebook, style of communication better than a forum. And I admit to not being one of them. I find Facebook extremely difficult to adapt to. And I am never quite sure what is happening to whatever I decide to post. I visit every once in a while to see if I am more comfortable. So far, I still find it cumbersome and confusing.

But I suppose that's the way some others feel in a forum. To each their own, right?

My comment about the corporate oversight was meant to highlight the nature of the platform. It has already been exploited many times. I prefer not contributing to herd thinking or manipulation. Not that this happens on all Facebook groups. I know it does not apply to all groups. But it could happen if a group were so inclined to manipulate reality. I don't see the official forum becoming a tool for misinformation. I suspect the developers would close it down before that could happen. But if the developers are not involved in the Facebook group how can they dispel misinformation? I would hope no manipulation would ever happen. But the platform allows it, or makes it possible by it's nature.

I hope I end up wrong and off base on this. Maybe Facebook will prove to be a most valuable place for information in the future. As it stands I do not think it is beyond reproach in this matter.

In truth I am not a Facebook fan. I am negative about it. But I do appreciate it's positive points and what you have shared with us. Only at the same time I can not overlook it's negative points. Time will tell if I can get as much out of the Facebook groups as I do the forums.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

seaken64

#33 Post by seaken64 »

"You will never see a post anywhere unless you look for it"

That is not what I meant. What I am trying to say is that unless I go to the Facebook MX group I will not see those discussions. And neither will anyone else who does not go to Facebook. The same can be said of this Forum. But the way I see it is that this forum is where discussions about MX should be. And the more information there is on the forum the better for others who can benefit from that information.

Seaken64

Artim

#34 Post by Artim »

For me it would be a fan page. For real help I always come here to the forums.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#35 Post by Jerry3904 »

This is not hard: if you think discussions should be here, stay here; other users (2,186 ATM) think FB is better, so stay there.

People are free to follow their preferences, right?!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

seaken64

#36 Post by seaken64 »

Jerry3904 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 pm This is not hard: if you think discussions should be here, stay here; other users (2,186 ATM) think FB is better, so stay there.

Yes, I get that. But what I am trying to highlight is that valuable information on the subject of MX is missing if not shared here. Visa-versa for the Facebook only crowd, valuable information and expert input is missing.

I agree about the preferences and personal tastes.

Artim, interesting take. I consider myself a fan of MX. I just never separated that from the official forum.

Honestly, If I was the boss I might say it's time to move everything to social media. "No one uses forums anymore"! That's the way I hear it said all the time. "No one does that any more". Then I think to myself, "but I do". But if "everyone" is now using social media than that's where we need to be right? Thankfully I am not the boss at MX. It will be tough to keep everyone happy, as always.

Seaken64

richb
Administrator

#37 Post by richb »

My estimate is that there are about 600 active posters her perhaps less. I have no estimate for active Facebook users but clearly it is an active contributory site to MX. My preference is the Forum for many reasons not the least of which is that the devs live here. However I would not under estimate the value of Facebook to MX and I believe it will continue to grow.
The Forum will not go away and will continue to be the main source for MX support along with the Website in a different fashion. Facebook will not go away and be an auxiliary support venue for those who prefer it.

By the way Facebook users are often referred to the Forum for specific answers.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#38 Post by JayM »

seaken64 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 pm
Jerry3904 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:50 pm This is not hard: if you think discussions should be here, stay here; other users (2,186 ATM) think FB is better, so stay there.

Yes, I get that. But what I am trying to highlight is that valuable information on the subject of MX is missing if not shared here. Visa-versa for the Facebook only crowd, valuable information and expert input is missing.

I agree about the preferences and personal tastes.

Artim, interesting take. I consider myself a fan of MX. I just never separated that from the official forum.

Honestly, If I was the boss I might say it's time to move everything to social media. "No one uses forums anymore"! That's the way I hear it said all the time. "No one does that any more". Then I think to myself, "but I do". But if "everyone" is now using social media than that's where we need to be right? Thankfully I am not the boss at MX. It will be tough to keep everyone happy, as always.

Seaken64
As my mother used to say, "If everyone was jumping off a cliff would you do it too?"

I remember the time when "No one wears straight-legged jeans anymore." You don't see that many pairs of bell-bottoms in the stores these days though.

If I was distro-hopping and found out that the only means of getting support was on a social media platform I'd immediately move on to the next distro. I imagine that some people might feel that way about the forum. Isn't it nice that MX, like Linux itself, offers people alternatives and choice?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

seaken64

#39 Post by seaken64 »

"Isn't it nice that MX, like Linux itself, offers people alternatives and choice?"

Yes, and on that note I am going to put away my bias and go read the Facebook group! HaHa! But I'll be back.

Seaken64

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#40 Post by rokytnji.1 »

I kid around on facebook more than I do here.
Being facebook. If their skin is not thick enough for super power ignore mode.
Grin at ignorance,meaness, or what.
Being as loosy goosy as reddit sometimes, I guess.

Then get a life, or something. If I get kicked out of the group. No harm no foul. I* only hang around to help.
I need more free time outside of computers. Cuz I got a life.

I look at neg input online as instructional in my use case.
I'd rather know up front if one does not care for me .
Only hurts for sec and then I remember what I just posted.
Being in the know is a good thing.
Being happy with your self. Even better.
Only place I don't use the ignore list is sites I mod at.
Facebook has a ignore option also.

Return to “General”