systemd according to Luke Smith

sunrat

Re: systemd according to Luke Smith

#51 Post by sunrat »

Richard wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:46 pm Well, at least most installers nowadays,
ask before reformatting the swap area. :)
True, Richard, but most is not all. I have installed a few random distros lately and a couple have given no option to not format swap. IIRC in one I did not specify a swap partition in the installer to get around it. systemd can automatically mount a swap partition on a GPT disk without an fstab entry anyway - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sw ... by_systemd

mx-2018

#52 Post by mx-2018 »

I am still a Linux beginner and for me the existence of systemd would be the last thing I check when choosing a distro. My priority is the distro have to be stable and doesn't rely on only one or two developers to maintain it.

As a beginner, I can only rely on the experts' opinions. When I heard Linus Torvalds himself mentioning the benefits of systemd, that was enough for me to relax and not think too much about it.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

rs55

#53 Post by rs55 »

mx-2018 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am I am still a Linux beginner and for me the existence of systemd would be the last thing I check when choosing a distro. My priority is the distro have to be stable and doesn't rely on only one or two developers to maintain it.

As a beginner, I can only rely on the experts' opinions. When I heard Linus Torvalds himself mentioning the benefits of systemd, that was enough for me to relax and not think too much about it.
Like you , I dont know much about the inner workings of these init systems . But philosophically, I like the idea of small programs that do one thing well. Thats why I would never install an iphone controlled home thermostat system or electronically controlled blinds, - I think the ones made in the 1960s work just fine ! I like the nice sturdy up/down mechanical light switches. I would never by a software controlled car (tesla). Why? Because things break. There are bugs. And you want to minimize bugs in critical infrastructure.

I like to think of things like systemd and pulseaudio as "middle managers", bureaucrats, - always sounds good at first - after all why not have a middle manager take charge of what 10 different employees are doing - and coordinate things. Over time , often, the overhead associated with such systems gets unwieldy, and bug prone, and takes on a life of its own. This is the problem with Windows.

It may be a bit more effort upfront to , for instance setup alsa audio ( compared to pulse). But once it is set, it just works. And it is optimized for ME - and how I use my system. I dont need to worry about what my "middle manager" is doing. I may not agree with the tradeoffs he is making. he may be doing things to solve problems some else is having - adding overhead to my system.

MadmanRB

#54 Post by MadmanRB »

You know for me the systemd debate is silly, I am a end user so the inter politics do not matter to me as long as my system boots and I can get from point A to Point B.
Sure I get the logistics of what is wrong and right about systemd but as it stands from a end user.... I kind of am on the systemd side, init is a bit slow on bootup compared to systemd and I actually had more issues in the past with init than with systemd.
But thats just my opinion, again end user here so the innter power struggle nonsense really doesnt concern me until it actually is a concern of mine.
Blue bunny from outer space!

manyroads

#55 Post by manyroads »

MadmanRB wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 pm [...]
But thats just my opinion, again end user here so the innter power struggle nonsense really doesnt concern me until it actually is a concern of mine.
and then it's too late to fix.... :p
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

gosia

#56 Post by gosia »

manyroads wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 am and then it's too late to fix.... :p
+1

Obito

#57 Post by Obito »

Funny how a post about a video bemoaning the fact that a lot of discussion about systemd is fuelled by uninformed populist opinions and biases should spawn pages in the thread and become sprinkled with comments fuelled by uninformed populist opinions and biases. :p

SwampRabbit

#58 Post by SwampRabbit »

Welcome, but probably not the best first post in the community, not just because of the comment but because you just bumped an ancient thread that needed to be close anyway.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Utopia
Administrator

#59 Post by Utopia »

Thread locked.
Henry

Return to “General”