Minimum system specs and maxi

Stevo
Developer

Re: Minimum system specs and maxi

#11 Post by Stevo »

What are you going to be using that may stress the system?

You can use va-api video playback acceleration with that modern i5 that you won't get with the Athlon if you watch a lot of high definition movie files. (like me) Many websites will render a lot faster, too.

If all you're doing is email and MX forum posts, no, you won't see much difference.

teddyk67

#12 Post by teddyk67 »

I have a Gateway laptop with Celeron M processor, 1 GB of RAM and 40 GB hard drive and I'm happy with the performance. I could load LibreOffice Calc & Writer along with Firefox without too much difficulty.

mxer

#13 Post by mxer »

2008 Toshiba Satellite - 2GB ram - 1.3GHz Celeron - operating from a 16GB SDHC card - (no HDD).
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#14 Post by JayM »

An Averatec "NetBuddy" N1130 32-bit netbook, originally with 1GB RAM and a 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU. MX ran but I wouldn't call it satisfactorily. It's better now that I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB. It's still kind of slow, but it's OK. It's better than when it used to have XP on it. I think I'm just spoiled by how fast MX is on my desktop with an SSD and 8GB RAM in it.

I'll probably end up installing antiX instead of MX but I'm kind of waiting for the next version which is still in alpha testing right now. I'll probably install it when there's a beta 32-bit snapshot available. I don't really want to give up the MX tools and utilities in favor of manually editing configuration files but the Averatec is the kind of system that antiX was meant for, so we'll see.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Justinian

#15 Post by Justinian »

On the subject of processors, I've had MX-15 resuscitate a non-hyperthreaded Pentium 4 and Pentium M-Dothan. Though the latter is a laptop that could not handle MX-16 (Firefox froze a lot) so its USB stick system became AntiX plus Palemoon while the latter quit POSTing long ago. Back when it still had MX-16 the USB stick ran reasonably fast tested on AMD A4-5000 and A6-3500, Sandy Pentium, and multiple Core 2 Duo machines (E7500 and higher). I'd guess the Athlon 64 X2 class is the minimum in terms of expectations for responsiveness with MX-18.2.

Still can't get our latest to boot an AMD A8-7680 even after updating the installation to 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix using an older machine. I know it's their oddest new CPU (Excavator-based) but I obtained this moderately fast quad-core the other month considering only price and DDR3. I'm confident MX will eventually run on it but insofar as the question of the maximum specification goes, I'd like to have an idea what processors (Athlon-Ryzen, Threadripper2, Intel ninth-gen iCore and Extreme?) don't dance with MX yet.

KBD

#16 Post by KBD »

I'm impressed by you folks running with 1gb of ram. I haven't done that in years. I've got a couple machines that can only do 2gb max, and they are just tolerable for me. I like at least 4gb, and using a machine with 8gb right now with MX. Still, very good to know MX works so well with bare minimum specs.

Richard

#17 Post by Richard »

Sounds about right for a rational person.

Cores and memory are like hotrods
--can't be too fast,
----have too many cores
------or too much memory.

And apps keep getting larger,
........................future proofing. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

alexjack

#18 Post by alexjack »

Runs v nice on a Core 2 duo 1.8 GHz and 2 GB ram.

KBD

#19 Post by KBD »

Justinian wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am Still can't get our latest to boot an AMD A8-7680 even after updating the installation to 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix using an older machine. I know it's their oddest new CPU (Excavator-based) but I obtained this moderately fast quad-core the other month considering only price and DDR3. I'm confident MX will eventually run on it but insofar as the question of the maximum specification goes, I'd like to have an idea what processors (Athlon-Ryzen, Threadripper2, Intel ninth-gen iCore and Extreme?) don't dance with MX yet.
I've looked at a couple of small Thinkpads that I wanted to buy, but they use AMD chips, and those make me nervous. I like to stick to intel cpu's for easy Linux compatibility. Few things as frustrating as having an otherwise excellent computer that just refuses to play well with Linux :(

Sparky

#20 Post by Sparky »

KBD wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm

I've looked at a couple of small Thinkpads that I wanted to buy, but they use AMD chips, and those make me nervous. I like to stick to intel cpu's for easy Linux compatibility. Few things as frustrating as having an otherwise excellent computer that just refuses to play well with Linux :(
Have you looked at the X220?
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 500GB WD SSD MX19.2
Dell Inspiron 7559 16GB RAM 1X 256GB SSD & 1TB SSD MX KDE 21.1 & Windows 11
Mini Tower PC 2X 256GB SSD MX KDE21.1

Return to “General”