No MX in Unetbootin?

Bierhundt

No MX in Unetbootin?

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

I suppose there must be a way to make it work, but since the MX package installer has unetbootin, it would seem plausible that they would have a version of unetbootin that would include the MX iso.
I've tried to enter MX-18.1_386.iso, but for some reason it won't accept it - it keeps telling me to select an .iso image??? I'm trying to load it onto a flash drive, just in case I have to reload when/if I crash this install by doing something I shouldn't have!
Any ideas?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: No MX in Unetbootin?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I haven't used unetbootin in a long time, but you should just be able to use the file chooser in unetbootin to select the iso file.

I just use mx-live-usb-maker to get the job done. I keep a USB with my basic mx setup on it (I actually set the usb up with my applications before install, thanks to the antiX-live system persistence features). every so often I boot from it and do the regular updates, to keep it in step with my installed system.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Bierhundt

#3 Post by Bierhundt »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:13 pm I haven't used unetbootin in a long time, but you should just be able to use the file chooser in unetbootin to select the iso file.

I just use mx-live-usb-maker to get the job done. I keep a USB with my basic mx setup on it (I actually set the usb up with my applications before install, thanks to the antiX-live system persistence features). every so often I boot from it and do the regular updates, to keep it in step with my installed system.
That's a great idea, hadn't thought of that for a 'just-in-case' scenario! I'll look in the manual to see how to use the mx-live-usb-maker and do that myself. Then, of course, I have to remember to update it every so often ...... ;)
Thanks!

BitJam
Developer

#4 Post by BitJam »

IMO for periodic system updates like this you are better off using live-remaster.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Oh yeah, forgot that part. before large updates I usually remaster before and after, to save space in the persistence files.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Bierhundt

#6 Post by Bierhundt »

Now it's two things I've got to learn .... thanks guys! ;)

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

@d-o / BitJam : do you have feedback about usb sticks durability for live as they use eMMC memory which is, from what I read, more prone to failure than ssd? It seems SSD + adapted usb/sata cable is now a better choice.

Return to “General”