Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Encrypted DVDs don't play on VLC on my MX install <resolved>

Bierhundt

Encrypted DVDs don't play on VLC on my MX install <resolved>

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

I've got VLC movie player installed on my MX and on my Winblows 7. VLC works great on Winblows for playing dvd movies from the Library. MX, however shows /dev/sr0 when I try to use VLC for those same movies. I've tried to change to /dev/sr1, 2, 3, etc. but no joy. Any ideas?
TIA
Last edited by Bierhundt on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mauser

Re: VLC doesn't play on my MX

#2 Post by Mauser »

Check the file permissions for the directory where those videos are. Right click on that directory folder and select properties>Permissions. Does it show your login name where it says Group and what does it say for access?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Bierhundt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:03 pm I've got VLC movie player installed on my MX and on my Winblows 7. VLC works great on Winblows for playing dvd movies from the Library. MX, however shows /dev/sr0 when I try to use VLC for those same movies. I've tried to change to /dev/sr1, 2, 3, etc. but no joy. Any ideas?
TIA
use our mx-codecs installer to install some extra packages, including the dvd decoding library for commerical dvd's. (libdvdcss).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

I'd fix the title of the first post to say "encrypted DVDs don't play in MX", since what it has now implies VLC isn't working at all, and the libdvdcss2 library install affects all of MX, not just VLC.

Bierhundt

#5 Post by Bierhundt »

Stevo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm I'd fix the title of the first post to say "encrypted DVDs don't play in MX", since what it has now implies VLC isn't working at all, and the libdvdcss2 library install affects all of MX, not just VLC.
I changed it a bit, but your suggested title didn't include the VLC player, so hopefully it's fixt now! THX

Bierhundt

#6 Post by Bierhundt »

Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 pm Check the file permissions for the directory where those videos are. Right click on that directory folder and select properties>Permissions. Does it show your login name where it says Group and what does it say for access?
I get the dvd movies from the public Library, not a library in VLC.

Mauser

#7 Post by Mauser »

Bierhundt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Mauser wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 pm Check the file permissions for the directory where those videos are. Right click on that directory folder and select properties>Permissions. Does it show your login name where it says Group and what does it say for access?
I get the dvd movies from the public Library, not a library in VLC.
That's not what I mean. I mean here.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Bierhundt

#8 Post by Bierhundt »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Bierhundt wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:03 pm I've got VLC movie player installed on my MX and on my Winblows 7. VLC works great on Winblows for playing dvd movies from the Library. MX, however shows /dev/sr0 when I try to use VLC for those same movies. I've tried to change to /dev/sr1, 2, 3, etc. but no joy. Any ideas?
TIA
use our mx-codecs installer to install some extra packages, including the dvd decoding library for commerical dvd's. (libdvdcss).
I'll do that, THX
I'll just d/l every codec that seems to be for DVD, movies, etc. including libdvdcss!
NOTE: libdvdcss wasn't listed in the codecs that were installed, so I guess it was already installed ???? (see note to mauser)

@ Mauser - I think I found what you were referring to, changed ownership to user, and just checked it out and the DVD comes up! Thanks!!

BitJam
Developer

Re: Encrypted DVDs don't play on VLC on my MX install <resolved>

#9 Post by BitJam »

BTW, problems with playing encrypted dvds have been reported before: Unable to play DVDs [Solved]. For me, some dvds work on MX and some don't even though they work fine on other systems.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “General”