I R annoyed

Captain Brillo

I R annoyed

#1 Post by Captain Brillo »

Way, way, back I learned computing's "Prime Directive":
Documentation, documentation, documentation.

Remember those days? When the challenge was being able to figure out how stupid users could be?
So why does it now seem to be about figuring out how "stupid" the programmers are?

Sorry, not stupid, but maybe unthinking and careless in pursuit of "move fast and break things" IDIOCY.

With regard to my issue in this post viewtopic.php?f=108&t=47999
about a switch for "kdocker", it was only by accident that I found what I needed.

Mostly because the "man" page for "kdocker" was really unclear about the options.
The solution was there all the time, but the description of the switch was woefully inadequate.

(Hey, man. it's the greatest little tool, but you really made me work hard to get it working, OK?)

This is it:

Code: Select all

-d     Disable session management. KDocker will not attempt  to  redock  this  application
              when you relogin.

and I don't get how it's telling me I can use the "-d" as a delay switch.

But that's what worked!!

Enough of this!

I really, really, really appreciate every one who creates stuff for us users, but, c'mon now, you have to tell me how to use it!!!
GAFA-free zone

sunrat

Re: I R annoyed

#2 Post by sunrat »

This is open source. Users are most welcome to suggest improvements to documentation.

gimcrack

#3 Post by gimcrack »

Captain Brillo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 am Way, way, back I learned computing's "Prime Directive":
Documentation, documentation, documentation.

Remember those days? When the challenge was being able to figure out how stupid users could be?
So why does it now seem to be about figuring out how "stupid" the programmers are?

Sorry, not stupid, but maybe unthinking and careless in pursuit of "move fast and break things" IDIOCY.

With regard to my issue in this post viewtopic.php?f=108&t=47999
about a switch for "kdocker", it was only by accident that I found what I needed.

Mostly because the "man" page for "kdocker" was really unclear about the options.
The solution was there all the time, but the description of the switch was woefully inadequate.

(Hey, man. it's the greatest little tool, but you really made me work hard to get it working, OK?)

This is it:

Code: Select all

-d     Disable session management. KDocker will not attempt  to  redock  this  application
              when you relogin.

and I don't get how it's telling me I can use the "-d" as a delay switch.

But that's what worked!!

Enough of this!

I really, really, really appreciate every one who creates stuff for us users, but, c'mon now, you have to tell me how to use it!!!
I see what you mean. I look at the man page and it said this for the -d flag

-d secs

Maximum time in seconds to allow for a command to start and open a window
[default: 5 seconds]

But I look further on other info pages and got the message that you posted and that is confusing. Never ran across this before. Maybe one is current updated and the other wasn't. That's only thing I think what happen here.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Annoyed, huh? Then talk to KDE about it and its developer on GitHub and let them know. We didn't develop it and didn't include it with MX.

And we have official support for KDE since we don't ship with it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

@Captain Brillo one of the challenges is finding those "what can 'elp you". Empathy many can provide. " 'elp be fewer." :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Captain Brillo

#6 Post by Captain Brillo »

Apparently there are 2 different man pages out there for kdocker. (which is in the MX Stable repo)
One in "man kdocker" and one at https://www.mankier.com/1/kdocker

:rolleyes:
GAFA-free zone

skidoo

#7 Post by skidoo »

Bbecause I was party to the earlier kdocker topic, I understand that you're "venting". To anyone unfamiliar with the earlier topic, yep, this OP probably reads like whining or complaining.

It's a best effort endeavor...
You're welcome to contribute and provide better documentation...
What's usually not said/considered is that, in the meantime, we folks who _DO_ ReadTheFineManuals too often find ourselves feeling tricked (punished?) for having done so.

Across a decade, my experiences related to to "contributing to upstream" -- both in the form of patches / pull requests and in the form of revised documentation -- have taught me that doing so usually amounts to "pursuing an excercise in futility" (and, noticing the similar plight of my fellow try-to-be contributors, I don't take it personally).

That's why we're all here (MX), right? If upstream Debian were the end-all-be-all, we would all be using debian.

ref: Opinion: Packages not flowing upstream into Debian (distrowatch.com article)
ref: reddit discussion of the above article

Consider: as an Xfce user, should you report an Xfce bug to the Xfce dev bugtracker (naw, fuggetaboutit, requires an account signup)
or to the bugtracker for the Debian package {which one, of 20 interrelated Xfce component packages???}

We, downstream from Debain, if we submit a report (or contribute patches/docs) directly to a project's author... we're resigned to waiting for the fruit to trickle down, often YEARS later, into our Debian-stable -derived operating system.

Debian's per-package bugtracker?
Go ahead, look up the stats (not that we're able to do so) and check across all open bug tickets, what is a ticket's average "age" ?

Overlooking Ubuntu, among all the wonderful packages maintained by MX & antiX & SparkyLinux & LinuxliteOS and...
how many (any?) wind up being accepted|introduced upstream?

ironic|silly|sad:
Brillo's act of venting about the kdocker 'gotcha' in an MX forum topic is far more likely to benefit future kdocker users than (filing a bug ticket, or writing/submitting patched docs and checking back periodically to watch it grow mold)

sunrat

#8 Post by sunrat »

skidoo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 pmironic|silly|sad:
Brillo's act of venting about the kdocker 'gotcha' in an MX forum topic is far more likely to benefit future kdocker users than (filing a bug ticket, or writing/submitting patched docs and checking back periodically to watch it grow mold)
There is truth in what you say.
Kdocker is hosted on GitHub which in my experience is more responsive to issues posted there. I think you still need an account but that's easy.
On a side note, I recently made a bit of noise on Debian bug tracker about a long-standing bug in KDEconnect and lo and behold, it was fixed within a couple of weeks!

Return to “General”