why does my MX-17's grub say it is MX-18?

dreamer

Re: why does my MX-17's grub say it is MX-18?

#21 Post by dreamer »

anticapitalista wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am
GuiGuy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:05 am
anticapitalista wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 am Please note the spelling of antiX - thanks.
Is the capitalization important?
Of the X? Yes.
Fixed. What's the story behind the spelling? antiX sounds to me like a progressive Wayland distro (just kidding ;) ). Or maybe you are anti and antiX is your X based distro? I always tend to think that X is somehow related to X server.

duane

#22 Post by duane »

I find this confusing too because I want to be able to remember which installation was a new install and which installation was one I just let upgrade.
I fixed this by going into the whisker menu and changing the button properties to icon and title and putting 17 + as the title for the upgrade.
On the new installation I set it to read 18.
Now I know which one is which at a glance without the grub menu confusing me.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

If we hadn't added the Mesa and other updates to MX 18, we'd be getting increasing numbers of questions about why it just doesn't work out of the box with newer hardware, just like the Debian forums are getting now. Sure, they can point them to stretch-backports, but if their hardware is too new to get a Net connection, that becomes quite a task.

In the future, maybe we should have those system updates in yet another new repository. That adds still more complexity, but users would have more control over the updates. It's not too late to move them to a special MX 18 repo so users could stick on MX 17 if they want, but the developers need to discuss this.

Return to “General”