Dedoimedo: best distro 2018

dphn

Re: Dedoimedo: best distro 2018

#21 Post by dphn »

Great article about the best distros 2018. I personally prefer only small distros. LM and Ubuntu is a good choice for beginners, but these distros are really big in the standard versions. Performance is always slower from release to release. In LM the timeshift application integrated in the system like Internet Explorer in Windows. Of course, timeshift is a nice frontend for rsync, but I don't like such integrations. You can't replace such things, when you prefer another app like luckybackup for example. The meta-packages and their dependencies are really bad on LM for creating own spins and this is an interesting thing that makes Linux-Systems unique.
On all Debian based distros the packages have less dependencies than Ubuntu. That's the better way. Install and replace what you want without lost the half system via autoremove.
So I like MX in this point and the MX-Tools makes the administration unique, not only for beginners. It's nice to have such tools on Linux. So I prefer MX over Arch.

Happy M2019X to all users here. :-)
for those with an eye for the finer details...

KBD

#22 Post by KBD »

Eggnog wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:43 am
This sounds a lot like me. I've never had the same distro across multiple computers. Now I have MX on all my laptops and desktops, except one desktop that has Win 10 on it for the family gamer, and in case I ever need Windows for anything (that likelihood is getting dimmer and dimmer as time goes on). And, of course, I have zero issues. I'm getting ready to be "gifted" with what I am told is an old, old laptop; no idea what it is but I am totally thinking antiX if not MX. Any recognition the MX and antiX developers receive is well-earned.
I also have just one Windows computer.
I began with these guys when Mepis11 was released. What they have done to keep the forum going, and then creating MX has been most impressive.

aledie

#23 Post by aledie »

How can this review be added to Distrowatch's reviews list on MX Linux site? It is not there, same as the previous one "Best XFCE distro"...
https://distrowatch.com/mx
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Jerry3904
Administrator

#24 Post by Jerry3904 »

They add what they think is suitable. They have the rss feed for our review page, which I am just now in the process of updating, so they will see it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”