Dedoimedo: best distro 2018

645dood

Re: Dedoimedo: best distro 2018

#11 Post by 645dood »

Been running MX for years now and it keeps on getting better year after year.
If I could find a way to run MS Office 365 on MX Linux I would dump Win 10 forever.
happy New Year all.
Alex

Eggnog

#12 Post by Eggnog »

BitJam wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 pm Even in this review he offers constructive feedback. Maybe it would be useful if we had an official policy on some form of long term support. It seems like we are doing it but haven't announced or advertised it.
That's really a good idea, I think. I'm sure it's a question any number of new users or prospective users would have, especially those who know about Ubuntu or Mint and their LTS releases. We even have LTS kernels.

This is actually a pretty nice honor. I've been visiting Dedoimedo for years. Igor isn't one who gets all giddy about some distro with bells and whistles and lavishes praise upon it. He puts it through his tests and calls it like he sees it, warts and all. For MX to win distro of the year, while Igor has been having a love-hate romance lately with Plasma, is pretty darned awesome.

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

@645dood... check this out and see if you can accomplish the transition.

https://www.lifewire.com/microsoft-offi ... ux-4137049
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:26 pm
Don't get me started on the text editor wars of 2017. We lost a lot of good characters there. :p
But when the dust had settled, the Geany faction finally got it onto the MX 18 iso! :p
We will keep supporting 17/18 for years to come; heck, MX 15/16 is still supported, too. If that's not LTS, what is?
I'm not sure what he means or wants exactly from "support". This is a community distribution. Support is by the community. It's been around far longer than MX, and I dare say it's older than lots of the current trendy distros.

Mepis was my first distro. Along the way, I also co-installed and enjoyed crunchbang, fuduntu, solusOS (the first Debian one). They are all gone now. That's around the time I got into manjaro. Mepis 12 remained stuck at beta when Warren stepped away, but it continued being supported by this community for a long time, together with mx14. I seem to recall the packaging team still packaging the latest Firefox for M12/mx14 for a short while after Debian's 5 year LTS had ended.

Since MX was created, a few other distros I multiboot either were discontinued (3) or had some problems when their main or sole Dev went AWOL (2). Meanwhile MX and the forum are still here.

The mx base is Debian in any case, so the security updates will usually last for around 5 years.

So what else is needed?

If he's saying he wants a corporation backing the distro, then MX will never fit that criterion of his.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

Oops, I should clarify that I agree with having an express statement on the website to set out how MX's support can be deemed to be long term.

But I don't think this will ever satisfy Dedo's personal requirements. Because MX will still be too small for him. I think he's concerned that one day there may not be a new release of MX anymore. I suspect that he feels that with Ubuntu, Canonical will always be behind it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KBD

#16 Post by KBD »

Congratulations!
And he is not wrong. Ubuntu is focused on its IPO. It was a mess of an LTS release (18.04). Only Kubuntu had a shine out of that mess. Mint was badly affected by Ubuntu issues making a mess of the 19 release. LMDE would have been in place of Mint 19 in my list. KDE/Kubuntu should be proud of the work they did, best looking and most solid release I ever saw for Kubuntu.
My go-to Linux release over the past year has been MX. I considered Debian, but it is long in the tooth with weird issues if you are doing a fresh install, too close to its next upcoming Stable release. I had issues with flash and the last time I tried an install (probably my 30th or so over the years) the installer crashed at the end of the process and killed my installation. Debian has to make its installer dead simple if it wants more users.
Brings me back to MX. It is easy to install. Has all the software I need. Has the best support team and forum on the Net. Proof is in the pudding: I have MX on my main desktop computer. I have MX as a server on my media server. I have MX on 2 laptops and will be installing it on an old Windows laptop in the next couple of days. I have Never had a single distro on so many computers before. I usually have 3-4 distros in use across my computers. But I see no reason for using much of anything else as MX does everything I need.
Again, congratulations and great job folks!

KBD

#17 Post by KBD »

asqwerth wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm I think he's concerned that one day there may not be a new release of MX anymore. I suspect that he feels that with Ubuntu, Canonical will always be behind it.
That might be a mistake. Mark S. seems to be heading Ubuntu for a sale. Ubuntu could offer 20 years support, but whoever buys it may not be interested in doing much, if anything, with desktop Ubuntu. More likely they will want it for server and other uses.

Eggnog

#18 Post by Eggnog »

KBD wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 am I have MX on my main desktop computer. I have MX as a server on my media server. I have MX on 2 laptops and will be installing it on an old Windows laptop in the next couple of days. I have Never had a single distro on so many computers before. I usually have 3-4 distros in use across my computers. But I see no reason for using much of anything else as MX does everything I need.
Again, congratulations and great job folks!
This sounds a lot like me. I've never had the same distro across multiple computers. Now I have MX on all my laptops and desktops, except one desktop that has Win 10 on it for the family gamer, and in case I ever need Windows for anything (that likelihood is getting dimmer and dimmer as time goes on). And, of course, I have zero issues. I'm getting ready to be "gifted" with what I am told is an old, old laptop; no idea what it is but I am totally thinking antiX if not MX. Any recognition the MX and antiX developers receive is well-earned.

Pierre

#19 Post by Pierre »

it's no real surprise there - MX is the Quiet Achiever :eek:

and his comment on LinuxMint - - not being up-to-scratch is interesting, as well.
:frown:

and there is now a version of MX-18
:cool:

Hooten

#20 Post by Hooten »

Everybody is going going crazy about MX. We can call this....The MX effect. :number1:

Return to “General”