MX-18 GNOME question

joejohnston3

MX-18 GNOME question

#1 Post by joejohnston3 »

Hello All,

I have always been a GNOME person and decided to use it with MX-18. It works amazingly well but I noticed a hidden bar in the bottom left of my screen, showing running apps and wondered what program or extension it was. I have attached a screenshot and wanted to see if anyone was familiar with it and knew what it was. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Johnston
iMac with MX Linux 17.1 GNOME

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX-18 GNOME question

#2 Post by fehlix »

joejohnston3 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:11 pm I have attached a screenshot and wanted to see if anyone was familiar with it and knew what it was.
from left to right: Teamviewer ; MX usb unmounter ; ClipIt , MX Updater
4 points of 4 :number1:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Mauser

#3 Post by Mauser »

MX-18 doesn't have the first two characters from the left but the third one is Unmount, the fourth is File Operation, the fifth one is the Updater.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I think it's the system tray
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

joejohnston3

#5 Post by joejohnston3 »

I need to clarify and sorry for the confusion. I wanted to know what the tool is that is showing the running tasks. I know which tasks are running but am not familiar with the task manager that is running and hiding in the left hand corner. Is it an extension or a startup application and what is its name?
Joe Johnston

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

joejohnston3 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:33 pm I need to clarify and sorry for the confusion. I wanted to know what the tool is that is showing the running tasks. I know which tasks are running but am not familiar with the task manager that is running and hiding in the left hand corner. Is it an extension or a startup application and what is its name?
I never seen such an icon on any version of MX Linux. Must be a Gnome thing.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fehlix
Developer

#7 Post by fehlix »

joejohnston3 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:33 pm I need to clarify and sorry for the confusion. I wanted to know what the tool is that is showing the running tasks. I know which tasks are running but am not familiar with the task manager that is running and hiding in the left hand corner. Is it an extension or a startup application and what is its name?
One of it names is "status icons", another systray
https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31 ... and-gnome/
And it appears to be a fading away feature, not shown since version ~ 3.26 ... :snail:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

ok... I've been lurking and just have to say... @joejohnson3 most of us here are much better equipped to help with xfce... but you already knew that...:bagoverhead: btw. I liked gnome in the old days way before gtk3.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

joejohnston3

#9 Post by joejohnston3 »

I do appreciate you all giving input as I am aware that Xfce is predominate here and I am outside the wire but I am enjoying MX-18 with GNOME. :)
Joe Johnston

rasat

#10 Post by rasat »

I also noticed the hidden bar when installed GNOME in MX. Its Debian thing because Ubuntu doesn't. Not sure which package, because I installed full desktop "apt-get install gnome". I am now testing in another machine, Debian 10 Buster to check GNOME 3.30. In my main machine with Ubuntu (also MX), the speed and responds is super. In this test, by installing minimal.... may find the hidden bar. What does Google search say?

Google:
Debian -- Details of package gnome-shell-extension-taskbar in stretch
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gno ... on-taskbar

TaskBar Extension for GNOME Shell. TaskBar displays icons of running applications on the top panel or alternatively on a new bottom panel. Activate, minimize ...

Return to “General”