Freedom is the key to success with any distro

wulf

Re: Freedom is the key to success with any distro

#41 Post by wulf »

I don't think the guy is trolling, but a quick Google will show that he moved to Antergos last week. Well, I haven't tried removing MX tools, but looking through the package manager, it seems as though you have the option to uninstall individual tools in theory. As for the Icon appearance, I've had no trouble customising the heck out of MX. I used Adwaita dark theme, with Adwaita Icons, but I replaced some of those by right clicking on an application Icon, selecting properties, and pointing it to an Icon of my own design, and it then displays that, instead, when I launch the whisker menu and shows the Icon on the panel when I drag it onto there. Once I have the system looking how I like it, I do a snapshot and burn it to a USB stick. As long as those icons are stored somewhere in the home folder and you select "preserve home" when reinstalling from the snapshot, things should stay the same. ..Here is one example of a self made Icon I just knocked-up in Pinta for the whisker menu button as an example. Graphically, nothing special, but containing a few subtle references of homage to the Mepis origin. Of course, you can also download an image of choice and use that as an icon as long as it will scale ok to 48x48 or 50x50 pixels. One application I don't use, ( or maybe I do, but not consciously), is Image Magick. Now that really does have a horrible GUI, ( in my opinion ),and looks like something from Windows 95 era. Good luck in trying to remove that without breaking your system as it appears to have multiple hooks.

timkb4cq
Developer

#42 Post by timkb4cq »

But the imagemagick libraries are very versatile and efficient so a bunch of applications depend on them. Libreoffice, Calibre, Fotoxx, mozplugger, gscan2pdf, inkscape just to list a few. Just because its GUI isn't very good doesn't mean it's not useful.

And if people want to submit icons for the various MX-Tools consistent with other theme-sets that we package we'll be glad to consider adding them.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

wulf

#43 Post by wulf »

timkb4cq wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:33 pm But the imagemagick libraries are very versatile and efficient so a bunch of applications depend on them. Libreoffice, Calibre, Fotoxx, mozplugger, gscan2pdf, inkscape just to list a few. Just because its GUI isn't very good doesn't mean it's not useful.

And if people want to submit icons for the various MX-Tools consistent with other theme-sets that we package we'll be glad to consider adding them.
I kinda guessed that might be the case with ImageMagick. I cited it as the only gui/icon example that I could agree about with the op. Aside from the tweaks I make to personalise the look of my desktop, I'm entirely happy with the overall appearance and performance of MX. It's a great Job you folks did. Thanks

asqwerth
Developer

#44 Post by asqwerth »

if people want to submit icons for the various MX-Tools consistent with other theme-sets that we package we'll be glad to consider adding them.
Another way is to make requests of the devs of a particular icon set you like. Eg Eric Dubois and his Sardi sets has done it of his own accord , or the first dev who ever did this, ZMA, from around the time of mx16.

ZMA started symlinking some of his already existing icons to appropriate mx apps when mx-tweaks was still called mx-defaultlooks.

That of course means though that you don't get original artwork for the MX-Tools or mx-tweaks icons, just generic "tools" or "tweaks" icons. But they would match the icon set that is applied.

If you would like icons that are specific to these mx apps, make specific requests of the icon devs, or create your own and offer them to the dev or this community.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

skidoo

#45 Post by skidoo »

One application I don't use, ( or maybe I do, but not consciously), is Image Magick. Now that really does have a horrible GUI
AFAIK, imagemagick has no gui. If you are referring to "graphicsmagick", uninstalling that should be no problem ~~ not much depends on it, aside from "webmagick" (which you'll probably never choose to install).

azrielle

#46 Post by azrielle »

Methinks what he REALLY wants is an "MX-base" distro, probably with KDE enabled instead of Xfce, and not much else, and an MX-PI subcategory of the individual tools and applications, so that one can cherry pick them after installation. Which seems like a lot more work for the unpaid MX Dev Team, for a VERY marginal return on "investment".
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Adrian
Developer

#47 Post by Adrian »

Adrian wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:14 pm
but you still cant remove ANY MX apps because you try one and there goes all of them
That seems incorrect, if you remove a MX app it might remove a mx-apps metapackage, but it will not remove all the apps. What MX app do you want to remove? I'm asking to check if there's an error in dependency list...

(It would also be nice if people would not pile up and let the OP respond to questions...)
I'm waiting for a response.

Stevo
Developer

#48 Post by Stevo »

Don't hold your breath, as I'm pretty sure that statement is dead wrong.

clicktician

#49 Post by clicktician »

skidoo wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:35 am
One application I don't use, ( or maybe I do, but not consciously), is Image Magick. Now that really does have a horrible GUI
AFAIK, imagemagick has no gui. If you are referring to "graphicsmagick", uninstalling that should be no problem ~~ not much depends on it, aside from "webmagick" (which you'll probably never choose to install).
It doesn't?

This is my launcher for imagemagic "/usr/bin/display-im6.q16 -nostdin %F". Is that graphicsmagic? (A sincere question).

When it launches, you right-click to summon the context menu, and it is that ancient Xwin decor that I used to think was cool back in my Sun Workstation days.
Huh. I don't have graphicsmagic installed, so I don't know where that UI could be coming from.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

sunrat

#50 Post by sunrat »

clicktician wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:29 pmThis is my launcher for imagemagic "/usr/bin/display-im6.q16 -nostdin %F". Is that graphicsmagic? (A sincere question).
display is the image viewer command for ImageMagick, a single command among the many IM functions. It is not a GUI for IM as it doesn't facilitate any processing of the displayed image.

Return to “General”