Freedom is the key to success with any distro

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: Freedom is the key to success with any distro

#31 Post by Eadwine Rose »

dreamer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 am I spent 500 hours this year tweaking MX-17 and apps. I have 80+ pages of notes, mostly info gathered from this forum.

80+... and here I thought I had a lot with the 25 :laugh:

Happy holidays!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

rasat

#32 Post by rasat »

My pre-installed /home doesn't show how a fresh install looks, so I did a fresh install on an old machine. Curious about the "crap" looking icons and appearance, mentioned here. With previous versions, I also didn't like. But MX 18 is beautiful. And with minor personal config change (breeze icon and semi transparent horizontal panel). Great work!!! ... including boot speed, splash and lightdm.
http://amurt.ro/download/mx18-fresh-ins ... -panel.jpg

uncle mark

#33 Post by uncle mark »

freefreeno wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:52 pm I just wan to say that I love the how mx works . There that is out of the way. The Distro works great but looks like it was designed by well someone who maybe like windows 2000.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Windows 2000 was the last MSFT OS I ran (by choice), and I thought it was their best work, by far.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

freefreeno

#34 Post by freefreeno »

You say that like it's a bad thing. Windows 2000 was the last MSFT OS I ran (by choice), and I thought it was their best work, by far.
It is not a bad thing if your only wanting certain people using the OS but the younger people don't and never will like that look. Sure you might find one out 100 but not many. Another opinon of mine is you don't have to change much inner workers in major updates but the looks always need to evolve as in get better.

Buck Fankers

#35 Post by Buck Fankers »

freefreeno wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:34 am but the younger people don't and never will like that look.
100 people may have 100 opinions.

Show us what is beautiful in your eyes. Set it up per your liking, create snapshot and share, show us.

Btw, what are the odds that of 100 people seeing your product, few may not like it?

freefreeno

#36 Post by freefreeno »

Point blank all I said was the 2 things. You can't remove what you want from the Distro and the MX icons don't looks good and that the REASON THEY DON'T LOOK GOOD IS BECAUSE MOST ICONS THEMES DO NOT INCLUDE ICONS FOR MX APPS so therefore when you add icons you are left with 3 to 6 icons that are stock and it throws the whole thing off. Your right about opinions and you ask for people to share and then don't like it when they do. Don't make me look like the bad guy when all I did was share my opinion and as far as screen shots I will be back with some. Don't get your ------ in a wod its Christmas. I do believe the first thing I said was that the Distro was great and then I shared an opinion. Now I do not not and never will like being forced to keep stuff on a PC that I do not use. I even offered up the idea of using two iso's so us that don't like stuff on there could add what we wanted after installation but that Idea was shut down because they say I can customize the usb with persistance and then install and I tried that but you still cant remove ANY MX apps because you try one and there goes all of them. Merry Christmas. I will show some screen shots of what I am using now.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#37 Post by dolphin_oracle »

freefreeno wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:47 am Point blank all I said was the 2 things. You can't remove what you want from the Distro and the MX icons don't looks good and that the REASON THEY DON'T LOOK GOOD IS BECAUSE MOST ICONS THEMES DO NOT INCLUDE ICONS FOR MX APPS so therefore when you add icons you are left with 3 to 6 icons that are stock and it throws the whole thing off. Your right about opinions and you ask for people to share and then don't like it when they do. Don't make me look like the bad guy when all I did was share my opinion and as far as screen shots I will be back with some. Don't get your ------ in a wod its Christmas. I do believe the first thing I said was that the Distro was great and then I shared an opinion. Now I do not not and never will like being forced to keep stuff on a PC that I do not use. I even offered up the idea of using two iso's so us that don't like stuff on there could add what we wanted after installation but that Idea was shut down because they say I can customize the usb with persistance and then install and I tried that but you still cant remove ANY MX apps because you try one and there goes all of them. Merry Christmas. I will show some screen shots of what I am using now.
you good, people just love talking about freedom!

Merry Christmas!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#38 Post by Adrian »

but you still cant remove ANY MX apps because you try one and there goes all of them
That seems incorrect, if you remove a MX app it might remove a mx-apps metapackage, but it will not remove all the apps. What MX app do you want to remove? I'm asking to check if there's an error in dependency list...

(It would also be nice if people would not pile up and let the OP respond to questions...)

Redacted

#39 Post by Redacted »

I'm sorry, Adrian. But when I see stuff like
The future of Linux is with the younger people and the younger people do not want something that was designed like a year 2000 PC
and
The icons you use for mx applications well they are ugly as all get out and nearly everyone of them looks out of place and make the rest look like crap
it irritates me to no end.
I'm the last thing from politically correct, but I am 62 and would appreciate a little respect for my opinions.

Eggnog

#40 Post by Eggnog »

Eh, OP had to be trolling. We are all dumber for having read it. I award him no points.

Return to “General”