libreoffice

manyroads

Re: libreoffice

#21 Post by manyroads »

I would also encourage you to examine options available as Flatpaks, Snaps, and/or appimages. I currently am using LibreOffice-Fresh as an appimage. There are also Free Online versions of office suites available to use 'in the cloud'; you may find some/one you like in that format/ form (much less disk used).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#22 Post by Jerry3904 »

LibreOffice-Fresh as an appimage
I use it on one machine straight from the LO Download page.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

PPC

#23 Post by PPC »

@manyroads - I'm a open/libreoffice user ever since my windows xp time. I bought a new laptop and it didn't come with an office, so I looked and discovered openoffice (boy, that was almost 20 years ago!).
I'm so used to it that's my daily driver, but I also have WPS on my desktop (some say it has the best MSOffice compatibilty, some that's worse than LO). Just in case I need it created a desktop link to Word on-line that (funny enough also isn't 100% libreoffice compatible) that opens in chrome almost like the desktop version.
For most users LO is completly fine, the latest version did improve docx compatibility. but then again, fortunately I don't have to deal with many docx documents).
I also use a recent appimage on my antiX boxes (the last version that came with the quickstart launcher, because my boxes have very low specs and sometimes it takes forever - well less than 10 seconds- the fire up writer).

P.

Return to “General”