Problem with Qt Creator Install..

PaulKBSR

Problem with Qt Creator Install..

#1 Post by PaulKBSR »

Hi.

I thoutht I'd start here first. Just getting started with Qt and ran across a tutorial video on you tube (I know, First mistake) for Qt where the guy installed it on Windows then created a bare bones app with no code, compiled it and ran it to produce an empty window. I copied that on Windows 10 (I know, second mistake) and it worked. But my aim is not windows (redemption at last) it's linux. I did the same exact thing in MX linux and to my great displeasure it failed with a compiler error where it couldn't find a library to link to. At least one but I think two. The first one is called "GL". Nothine else... The command says "-lGL". I'll have to jump back on Linux to get the full command error and append that to this post but that's the jist of it. Any info would be appreciated. I'll also check the Qt forum for this problem which I haven't done yet. Thanks in advance.

Paul

APPEND:
Here is the command used:
g++ -Wl,-rpath,/opt/Qt/5.11.2/gcc_64/lib -o TestQt main.o mainwindow.o moc_mainwindow.o -L/opt/Qt/5.11.2/gcc_64/lib -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui -lQt5Core -lGL -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

The other problem library would be pthread because I can't find that either in the path.
I also checked the Qt forum for this error to no avail. I'll post a question there as well.
Current Config: Ever Changing | Intel Quad Core i7-7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]

fehlix
Developer

Re: Problem with Qt Creator Install..

#2 Post by fehlix »

Not an answer to your specific question ..
Make sure yout qt env at minimum has this plus base examples:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install qtcreator qttools5-dev-tools qtcreator-doc qt5-default qt5-doc qtbase5-examples
And the examples provided compile and start from within Qtcreator.

Other examples you migh check are in

qt3d5-examples
qtconnectivity5-examples
qtdeclarative5-examples
qtmultimedia5-examples
qtquickcontrols2-5-examples
qtquickcontrols5-examples
qtscript5-examples
qtsensors5-examples
qtsvg5-examples
qttools5-examples
qtwebengine5-examples
qtwebkit5-examples
qtwebkit5-examples-doc
qtwebkit5-examples-doc-html
qtwebsockets5-examples
qtxmlpatterns5-examples
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PaulKBSR

#3 Post by PaulKBSR »

The install above fixed it. Ran it and tried the empty app again and all is well. I'm not sure which one did but I'm terribly happy it's fixed.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
Current Config: Ever Changing | Intel Quad Core i7-7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

One tip, in MX Package Installer there's a Development section, there are two choices Qt5 Dev Environment and Qt5 Documentation, that should make it easier to install it.

PaulKBSR

#5 Post by PaulKBSR »

Thank you Adrian, I just checked and they're already installed. Right now I'm waffling on C++ or Python and which would make me more productive quicker. From where I'm starting it's a hard choice. I'm leaning to C++ because I know MX is mostly made with that but I feel that Python would make me more productive quicker which is a personal desire of mine. Any input would be appreciated!

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

We're open to having Python apps for MX, it's just that the present developers preferred to create the MX apps in Qt. I know Mint's homebrewed programs like their app store are mostly Python the last time I looked.

Also, MX does not install recommended packages by default, which Debian does. You can set Synaptic to do this, or add the flag on the command line:

sudo apt install --install-recommends qtcreator

Recommended packages that will then be made sure to install are:

Recommends: clang, gdb, make, qmlscene, qt5-doc, qt5-qmltooling-plugins, qtbase5-dev-tools, qtcreator-doc, qtdeclarative5-dev-tools, qttools5-dev-tools, qttranslations5-l10n, qtxmlpatterns5-dev-tools, xterm | x-terminal-emulator

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

PaulKBSR wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:14 pm Thank you Adrian, I just checked and they're already installed. Right now I'm waffling on C++ or Python and which would make me more productive quicker. From where I'm starting it's a hard choice. I'm leaning to C++ because I know MX is mostly made with that but I feel that Python would make me more productive quicker which is a personal desire of mine. Any input would be appreciated!
I think once you start to use Qt (C++) you'll figure out that there's a lot of power there and not very hard to create applications. At least basic apps like simple windows with buttons and entry fields are very easy to create. What kind of app would you like to build? Qt Designer (or designer section in Qt Creator) is pretty useful to get you started with an interface and it's pretty easy to plug in the code for the buttons/checkboxes/etc that you add in the form.

That's how we started with MX apps, granted they are not that good looking (you can blame my lack of aesthetic sense not for Qt lack of options) but they are functional and reasonable easy to program, I can spin a small app like MX Cleanup in a day or two and then work a bit more to smooth the details. You could use one of the simpler MX apps as a starting point (not that our code is necessarily a good example) You can start with something very simple like MX Welcome https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-welcome that is pretty much a collection of buttons that launch different things...

PaulKBSR

#8 Post by PaulKBSR »

Thanks again to you and Stevo. I think I'm settling on C++. The main reasons are that I've learned it beginning to end at least 3 times over the years but the old addage that "You don't use it... You loose it." is very true. At least for me. This time maybe I'll get it to a similar state as C is for me.

Also, I was a bit surprised and quite pleased at Qt Creator. It's similar to Powerbuilder which I used extensively before. It feels very familiar and homey. I don't think I'll have any trouble at all doing forms. I've done hundreds literally. The code underneath will be the challange but I can't help but believe that when I start working with it and see examples that things should come back.

As far as your apps are concerned, as a user and distro hopper, they're very good and intuitive. I saw a review of MX Linux on You Tube and it was VERY good especially as to all the useful apps that were included. I do have one suggestion though now that I think of it... The MX Menu Editor has no way that I found to delete an entry. I had an app leave an entry in it and I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Then I saw where I think those entries are stored... "/use/share/applications" and deleted it there but I'm not sure if that would effect anything else.

The next thing on the agenda is to rearrange my PC. I have 2 SDD's. Windows is on one and I'm going to put MX on the other. I can use the speed increase now. That'll take a bit but I think it'll be worth it. Thanks again for your advice and help. It's greatly appreciated. Oh... and the kind of apps I am best suited for are database apps. I'm not sure how that would fit but who knows. Other than that I'm up for anything. A need to re-start using my brain before it's gone... :)

timkb4cq
Developer

#9 Post by timkb4cq »

I'm C++ challenged (I can puzzle it out for patches sometimes but don't "get it") so I used Python-Qt for my only MX programming contribution. It works pretty well, but I did have problems finding accurate documentation for the Python Qt bindings. C++ is the default for Qt so it's better documented.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

fehlix
Developer

#10 Post by fehlix »

PaulKBSR wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:43 pm The MX Menu Editor has no way that I found to delete an entry. I had an app leave an entry in it and I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Then I saw where I think those entries are stored... "/use/share/applications" and deleted it there but I'm not sure if that would effect anything else.
Well spotted. A proper "delete" menu-entry is not implemented,yet. You can currently only hide entries, which is the default for system entries. But you would only delete user edited entries, not system entries ;=).

This triggers a comment about our Qt-apps and linux/bash: Most of our Qt-apps do fairly close work together with bash-related command line calls. Why: It's simple easier, to write, test and to debug . So you would also need to get a fairly good understanding about the cli and related command line tools. I know other Qt-enviromnts like LXQT do most of their stuff through dbus-related calls, which is another dimension on it's own, and I dont think an easier one to debug and test, though.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “General”