Tor Browser+VPN?

mackronickson

Tor Browser+VPN?

#1 Post by mackronickson »

Just started using MX Linux 17.1 little over a week ago (as LiveCD), and plan to install on my secondary HDD early next month. Never really used Linux before now. Anyway, is there an easy (non-CLI) way to install Tor Browser, and tie it to a VPN? Something a newbie can do, or do I need to have my tech guy come by to handle it? I want the Tor Browser, but not the deadly slow Tor Network...I have TAILS CD for that. Thanks for any help.

-----
Mod note: Spam links deleted
Last edited by mackronickson on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

Re: Tor Browser+VPN?

#2 Post by richb »

Tor and Privoxy are available via the MX Package Installer/Popular Applications/Network. I am not sure of the release number, the configuration or if the browser is included as I messed with it some time ago and just opted for a VPN.

The Tor browser is available from their website and should install in MX.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

fehlix
Developer

#3 Post by fehlix »

mackronickson wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 am I want the Tor Browser, but not the deadly slow Tor Network...I have TAILS CD for that. Thanks for any help.
You might consider to post a package request within this sub forum Package Requests/Status - MX 17.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

skidoo

#4 Post by skidoo »

Repackaging TorBrowser would break the chain of trust.

Here's a list of steps (possibly incomplete) howto achieve "just the browser" after installing the official TorBrowserBundle package:

From within a running TorBrowser instance:
1) Visit "Preferences > Advanced > Network > Settings"; speciffy "No proxy" and uncheck "Remote DNS"
2) Type "about:addons" in address bar; disable the "Torbutton" extension
3) optional (but probably necessary to prevent your changes from being overwritten): specify "disable automatic updates" in preferences
4) optional (suggested): Change the user-agent string reported by the browser, by visiting "about:config" and editing the prefkey named "general.useragent.override"
(or create a new prefkey of that name if it doesn't already exist)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
or
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
... or maybe you'd prefer to spoof Chromium in the user-agent string?

After making the above changes, shutdown the browser and
1) edit the .desktop "launcher" file to directly invoke the browser executable (vs torbutton wrapper script)
2) perform a desktop menu update/refresh/rebuild
3) (optional) launch synaptic, inspect the list of "installed files" for torbrowser package. Delete from disk (or just rename until certain) any non-needed installed files.

Upon restarting the browser, some further tweaks to various default preference values will probably be desirable.
Maybe you don't want the browser to automatically startup in "pRiVaTe BrOwSiNg" mode each session.
Maybe you don't care to have the other pre-packaged addons activated (NoScript? hPeeEvywhere?) ...

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

skidoo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm Repackaging TorBrowser would break the chain of trust.
Yes, I know. We have a couple of "remote installer" packages within our popular apps.
The packaging team will certainly find a way to handle such requests, when nicely formulated :p
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

MichealHeitz

#6 Post by MichealHeitz »

skidoo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm Repackaging TorBrowser would break the chain of trust.

Here's a list of steps (possibly incomplete) howto achieve "just the browser" after installing the official TorBrowserBundle package:

From within a running TorBrowser instance:
1) Visit "Preferences > Advanced > Network > Settings"; speciffy "No proxy" and uncheck "Remote DNS"
2) Type "about:addons" in address bar; disable the "Torbutton" extension
3) optional (but probably necessary to prevent your changes from being overwritten): specify "disable automatic updates" in preferences
4) optional (suggested): Change the user-agent string reported by the browser, by visiting "about:config" and editing the prefkey named "general.useragent.override"
(or create a new prefkey of that name if it doesn't already exist)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
or
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
... or maybe you'd prefer to spoof Chromium in the user-agent string?

After making the above changes, shutdown the browser and
1) edit the .desktop "launcher" file to directly invoke the browser executable (vs torbutton wrapper script)
2) perform a desktop menu update/refresh/rebuild
3) (optional) launch synaptic, inspect the list of "installed files" for torbrowser package. Delete from disk (or just rename until certain) any non-needed installed files.

Upon restarting the browser, some further tweaks to various default preference values will probably be desirable.
Maybe you don't want the browser to automatically startup in "pRiVaTe BrOwSiNg" mode each session.
Maybe you don't care to have the other pre-packaged addons activated (NoScript? hPeeEvywhere?) ...
Very nicely put.....thanks

Return to “General”