Search User Manual from Whisker Menu

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

Search User Manual from Whisker Menu

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

As is the case on most Linux forums, often the answer to a question is in the Manual. I'm not saying we should return to the days of "RTFM", but I was wondering if there's another way to make it easier for newbies to find answers to common questions.

OK, I know that searching the forum is a good start, but what if the question relates to connecting to the Internet? Well, MX has already thought of that, as the User Manual is pre-installed - but... how many actually read it?

So, I was thinking that searching the Manual directly from the Whisker Menu might be easier - maybe add a "#" before the search string. So for help with installing you might type "#install" (without the quotation marks), and the Manual would open at the relevant page, or you'd get a list of relevant Manual pages relating to the search string... click on the link you want, and that page of the Manual is displayed...

Whether this is a good idea, or even possible, isn't for me to say, but I thought I'd post it for others to consider (or ignore ;) )
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

oops

Re: Search User Manual from Whisker Menu

#2 Post by oops »

ChrisUK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am
So, I was thinking that searching the Manual directly from the Whisker Menu might be easier - maybe add a "#" before the search string. So for help with installing you might type "#install" (without the quotation marks), and the Manual would open at the relevant page, or you'd get a list of relevant Manual pages relating to the search string... click on the link you want, and that page of the Manual is displayed...

Whether this is a good idea, or even possible, isn't for me to say, but I thought I'd post it for others to consider (or ignore ;) )
We already have without the whisker:
keys: Alt+F1 ... then Ctrl+f ... to find with keyword
With the whisker: mouse click on it, and type: "mx" ex:mx-help
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

PPC

Re: Search User Manual from Whisker Menu

#3 Post by PPC »

@ChrisUK - good idea (Windows, for example, does search files from the start menu, people are used to that) but I guess that would force users to install indexation software (I use Recoll myself, sometimes) and then have a way for Whisker Menu to send a search request over to that software... and display the results... The OS would be a bit bloated by that... Because the manual has so much exposition on the menu, mx-tools and the greeting screen, I belive most users would not want the trade off - a bloated system vs having to open the menu and search the pdf/html file.

Return to “General”