-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Question: MX package requests vs. other distros

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Question: MX package requests vs. other distros

#11 Post by oops » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 am

Redacted wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm
And the developers do not go to the forum.
What makes the difference?..
Hello,
Yes here is the main difference (I guess).
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by timkb4cq » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

I started building packages back in the Mepis 7 days to safely install programs I wanted myself. Then I started sharing them on the MepisLovers Forum. Then, since some of them were fairly popular, I started an unofficial repository to more easily share them. Others started building packages & submitting them.
There were bumps & turns along the way, folks came & went, but the MX repos & packagers had their start in the forums, helping Mepis be better for the users, and then helping MX get up & running when Mepis was discontinued.
The whole point from the start was making compatible packages the users (and we're users too) wanted while still running on a stable base. We're on the forums because that's where we started out, and that's where the value is. How else are we to know what our users want?
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

wulf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Post by wulf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

timkb4cq wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am
I started building packages back in the Mepis 7 days to safely install programs I wanted myself. Then I started sharing them on the MepisLovers Forum. Then, since some of them were fairly popular, I started an unofficial repository to more easily share them. Others started building packages & submitting them.
There were bumps & turns along the way, folks came & went, but the MX repos & packagers had their start in the forums, helping Mepis be better for the users, and then helping MX get up & running when Mepis was discontinued.
The whole point from the start was making compatible packages the users (and we're users too) wanted while still running on a stable base. We're on the forums because that's where we started out, and that's where the value is. How else are we to know what our users want?
Admirable ethos! :cool2:

Redacted
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by Redacted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 am

It sure is, and you can see and feel the difference in the end product.
MX 17.1

Return to “General”