New isomount suite of tools ready (?) for early beta testing

BitJam
Developer

New isomount suite of tools ready (?) for early beta testing

#1 Post by BitJam »

This is a suite of command line tools that make it very easy to mount and unmount iso files and squashfs files.

They are not packaged or translated yet. You can get them from my isomount GitHub repo. This is early beta so there will be blood bugs. I had been using a more primitive version of these tools (only 36 lines) for many years. They were great and made my life easier. These are much better.

If you copy or clone the repo then you can install to your system with:

Code: Select all

sudo make install ROOT=
TLDR:
Mount an iso file (and its linuxfs file if it is antiX/MX):

isomount /path/to/iso-file.iso
Unmount the most recently mounted iso file (and its linuxfs file if needed):

isoumount
Unmount all the files we have mounted:

isoumount all
Show what files are mounted:

show-isoumount
Here are some screen shots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Vincent17

#2 Post by Vincent17 »

Thanks for going over the edge and publishing the isomount script. Beta or not, it works great so far. I especially appreciate the printout of mounts. As a PuppyLinux user, I have a large number of squashfs files called something.sfs, so sqmount is very handy. Your answer to my question about snapshots opened up the world of loop mounts for me so I actually understand the script :)

BitJam
Developer

Re: New isomount suite of tools ready (?) for early beta testing

#3 Post by BitJam »

Great! I'm glad it worked for you. If you spot any bugs or misspelling or things you don't like, PLMK. BTW: you can control the output a little with -q and -Q. I think -q only show the mountpoint table while -Q shows everything but the table.

I've started working on a "dfh" command which I think is a much more human readable form of "df -h". I will upload it soon but for now, I will show you the output. I also attached a tarball of the dfh command. It's not ready for beta but the basic functionality seems to be working. I'm planning to simplify isomount a little with some of what I'm doing in dfh.

The big things I do are add colors and show the filename of what was mounted if it is a loop device. I think df used to do this but for some reason the changed to showing the loop device which is much less useful than to filename. There is also what I consider a weird bug in df. If the same file is mounted to more than one location, only the first one is reported unless you use -a. So I have to exclude a bunch of filesystem types and I imagine I will need to add more to the list. I think I wasted a couple of days due to this unexpected bug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Adrian
Developer

Re: New isomount suite of tools ready (?) for early beta testing

#4 Post by Adrian »

Minor spelling issue: in man isomount, isoumount is misspelled 4 times:
isuomount

Return to “General”