Suggestions for Future Versions

Adrian
Developer

Re: Suggestions for Future Versions

#21 Post by Adrian »

Raymzap wrote:Ditch GNOME PPP.
There are still people who use modems (unfortunately it's a fact of life especially in rural communities) what do you suggest instead?

Raymzap

#22 Post by Raymzap »

Adrian wrote:
There are still people who use modems (unfortunately it's a fact of life especially in rural communities) what do you suggest instead?
Hi Adrian. I actually didn't think anyone used dial-up anymore. I guess if a tiny few still use it, then maybe leave it in.
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

Adrian
Developer

#23 Post by Adrian »

It doesn't take a lot of space...

Raymzap

#24 Post by Raymzap »

Adrian wrote:It doesn't take a lot of space...
Fair enough. I can simply uninstall it with a few other surplus to requirement apps. :happy:
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

anticapitalista
Developer

#25 Post by anticapitalista »

Raymzap wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Hi Adrian. I actually didn't think anyone used dial-up anymore. I guess if a tiny few still use it, then maybe leave it in.
My bet is that more than a 'tiny few' still use dial up even in the so-called developed world https://www.dailydot.com/debug/dvd-rent ... 3-aol-2017/ , let alone those living in less 'fortunate' parts of the world.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

anticapitalista wrote:
Raymzap wrote:
Adrian wrote: There are still people who use modems (unfortunately it's a fact of life especially in rural communities) what do you suggest instead?
My bet is that more than a 'tiny few' still use dial up even in the so-called developed world https://www.dailydot.com/debug/dvd-rent ... 3-aol-2017/ , let alone those living in less 'fortunate' parts of the world.
Though I hear that cell service is available in amazingly much more "undeveloped" territory than land lines. It's just a matter of economics. A few towers vs running phone lines all over the place, but tethering a phone and data charges are going to be a sticking point for Net access there.

The GNOME PPP program is very small, don't pick on it.

asqwerth
Developer

#27 Post by asqwerth »

Raymzap wrote:* Release an MX MATE version. Or release an ISO that lets you choose which DE to install at the installation stage like the way the Antergos live iso does it.

* Use Firefox ESR instead or regular Firefox - or give a choice during installation.
Unlike Antergos which is apparently more DE agnostic (I've installed it a few times in VB but it never stuck), MX has one officially-supported DE and in fact much of the functionality of MX-Tweak relates to tweaking the XFCE desktop. That is just the MX Dev Team's approach to MX Linux, since it is not a large team and there are time constraints.

The other DEs are available for one-click installation from MX Packageinstaller but they will mainly be in their vanilla state for the user to tweak/prettify on their own.

This is similar to Manjaro, which has 2 official DEs, XFCE and Plasma. All other Manjaro isos are community editions/spins. You are welcome to put together an MX-themed spin with another DE, as your contribution to the community.

[ADDED] MX art resources (e.g. logos) can be found here: https://mxlinux.org/art ; and don't forget the MX-snapshot tool makes making spins so much easier.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

kb50

#28 Post by kb50 »

Alternate to using dialup internet.
3 Choices.

1: Tether Your Cell Phone, to USB as a network device. Use 3G/4G as your Internet Provider. Not the best idea, as it can get slow, ties up your phone, and even if they say unlimited Data, it's not. It will slow you down after a certain amount of usage.

2: MiFi, which is much better than Tethering your cell phone. Its a black box, with an ethernet port, you hook to your computer, and it goes onto your carrier (Cell Phone) using 4G but does not tie up your cell phone. Supposed to be unlimited data, again could vary.

3: Satelite: Dish Network, DirecTv. All overpriced, but are about the only other solutions. Hughes Network slightly better, and cheaper. But overall are all the same and
Lag will prevent the ability to use Skype, or any other Chat application, FB Video Chat, etc. Most anything involving real-time is out.

Raymzap

#29 Post by Raymzap »

Enterprise as the next MX codename.
GNU/Linux User #470660

Raymzap

#30 Post by Raymzap »

anticapitalista wrote:
DVDs, dial-up and fax machines. The 90s is alive and well. :happy:
GNU/Linux User #470660

Return to “General”