Suggestions for Future Versions

malspa

Re: Suggestions for Future Versions

#51 Post by malspa »

My wish would be for a much shorter period of time between the latest Debian Stable release and the Stable-based MX release. Like, two months at the most.

However, I don't believe that this is possible -- antiX-17 wasn't released until October -- and it could severely affect the quality of the final release. So this is more of a "wish" than a "suggestion," and I hesitate to even post this because it probably isn't even a good idea.

Still, it's kinda like how things were with Mepis, I'd get tired of waiting and so I'd install the latest Debian instead. And I'd spend more time checking out other distros.

This time around, I had Stretch (with Xfce) installed and set up back in April 2017, while it was still in Testing, so I wasn't all that interested in installing MX-17 by the time December rolled around. It's one of the main reasons why I use MX only for live sessions these days. I feel like a traitor coming here and saying all this.

Well, the waiting has resulted in my becoming much better with Debian, and that's a good thing (for me). And it gave me more time to look at (and learn about) other distros. But I do wonder how many other users don't wanna wait and so move on to something else.

azrielle

#52 Post by azrielle »

Debian 9 had a number of serious bugs that took 3 point releases to straighten out. Perhaps not uncoincidentally, MX17 is based on Debian 9.3, NOT 9.0. I will take stability over bleeding edge buggy every time.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

asqwerth
Developer

#53 Post by asqwerth »

Anticapitalista needs to create his no-systemd AntiX from standard systemd Debian first, and MX is based on antiX. So I don't think you can expect MX to be released so soon after a Debian release.

I'm not involved in the technical side of things, but during the testing phase, I recall there would be observations made like, hey, how come program ABC doesn't seem to work now when it did without issues in the previous release of MX? Then Stevo or D_O or Adrian would discover that there are more systemd hooks in the latest version of ABC than in the previous one. So it's not as straightforward a process than if MX were a "normal" systemd Debian derivative.

Or the testers would find that the MX beta based on latest Debian no longer works well on certain older hardware when it did in the previous MX release, which then has to be investigated and a solution found.

If MX wants to continue to "just work" on a wide range of machines and be as newcomer-friendly as possible, extra work needs to be done.

Luckily with Packaging Team's stellar work in providing updated packages for older MX releases, it takes longer for an older MX release to feel "stale" as compared to an older vanilla Debian.

I'm still using MX16 installs interchangeably with MX17 and don't find MX16 outdated or old.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa

#54 Post by malspa »

asqwerth wrote:MX is based on antiX
Yeah -- that's why I said that I don't believe it's possible for MX to be released earlier.
azrielle wrote:Debian 9 had a number of serious bugs that took 3 point releases to straighten out.
OK. Can't say that I noticed anything that affected me here, but point taken.

Oh, well, it is what it is. As I wrote, "...it could severely affect the quality of the final release. So this is more of a 'wish' than a 'suggestion,' and I hesitate to even post this because it probably isn't even a good idea." MX is certainly worth the wait for most users.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#55 Post by dolphin_oracle »

malspa wrote:My wish would be for a much shorter period of time between the latest Debian Stable release and the Stable-based MX release. Like, two months at the most.

However, I don't believe that this is possible -- antiX-17 wasn't released until October -- and it could severely affect the quality of the final release. So this is more of a "wish" than a "suggestion," and I hesitate to even post this because it probably isn't even a good idea.

Still, it's kinda like how things were with Mepis, I'd get tired of waiting and so I'd install the latest Debian instead. And I'd spend more time checking out other distros.

This time around, I had Stretch (with Xfce) installed and set up back in April 2017, while it was still in Testing, so I wasn't all that interested in installing MX-17 by the time December rolled around. It's one of the main reasons why I use MX only for live sessions these days. I feel like a traitor coming here and saying all this.

Well, the waiting has resulted in my becoming much better with Debian, and that's a good thing (for me). And it gave me more time to look at (and learn about) other distros. But I do wonder how many other users don't wanna wait and so move on to something else.
food for thought, thanks.

we did a little reorganizing this last go around with 17, which resulted in mx17 coming out much faster than otherwise would have happened. I've got some thoughts for the future, especially with regards to helping get the antiX project moving a little quicker. beta testing of the antiX live system is a big deal, and those systems are nearly identical in mx...
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

malspa

#56 Post by malspa »

Yeah, I was actually a bit surprised that MX-17 was finalized as soon as it was. I thought it might not be done until maybe January. Another one I like, also Stable-based, is BunsenLabs, but its Stretch-based released has yet to be finished, unfortunately.

Obito

#57 Post by Obito »

Alternate to using dialup internet.
3 Choices.

1: Tether Your Cell Phone, to USB as a network device. Use 3G/4G as your Internet Provider. Not the best idea, as it can get slow, ties up your phone, and even if they say unlimited Data, it's not. It will slow mobdro kodi you down after a certain amount of usage.

2: MiFi, which is much better than Tethering your cell phone. Its a black box, with an ethernet port, you hook to your computer, and it goes onto your carrier (Cell Phone) using 4G but does not tie up your cell phone. Supposed to be unlimited data, again could vary.

3: Satelite: Dish Network, DirecTv. All overpriced, but are about the only other solutions. Hughes Network slightly better, and cheaper. But overall are all the same and
Lag will prevent the ability to use Skype, or any other Chat application, FB Video Chat, etc. Most anything involving real-time is out.

richb
Administrator

#58 Post by richb »

Moderator Comment

Please do not post in old posts. I am locking this post. Start a new topic in the appropriate Forum.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”