MX 17 Alpha3

polaca57

Re: MX 17 Alpha3

#11 Post by polaca57 »

eugen-b wrote:
BTW: The graphical design of Xfce on MX 17 is excellent!!
Yes! looking great. I just wish that MX themes lose that 3-D looking text on panel and Whisker menu ...

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

polaca57 wrote:
Yes! looking great. I just wish that MX themes lose that 3-D looking text on panel and Whisker menu ...
Could you post a screenshot so we can understand what you are referring to? Thanks.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

There is now an Alpha4, by the way.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

skidoo

#14 Post by skidoo »

(mentioned during MX16.1 testing)
Note the blurred "LibreOffice" text when that menu item has focus (vs not) and the blur/graininess of the tooltip text.
The blur immediately disappeared when any other theme is selected (any, other than the 5 problematic themes I mentioned)

v---- top results from: https://www.google.com/#q=greybird+theme+blury

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11122 Screenshot of how XFCE Greybird theme displays icons on the desktop

https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme/issues/607 Xfce: Text under desktop icons misaligned with shadow

https://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showt ... p?t=313216 Reload this Page [SOLVED] nice looking xfce xfce theme

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

Thanks, skidoo. I don't remember this issue nor reading your post in the 16.1 testing thread.

To put all relevant info into this thread, I'm pasting the link to your previous post here:

viewtopic.php?p=415465#p415465
...What led me to immediately visit "appearance }} Fonts" during first session was the "blurry" (onMouseover) text labels of items displayed within left pane of WhiskerMenu. Whelp, turns out antialiasing didn't fix the blur. The blurriness is due to a quirk within a few of the pre-installed GTK themes (one of which happens to be the now "default" theme in RC).

The following themes are "quirked":
Greybird variants -mx, -thin, -thick
Bluebird variants -thick, -thin

Your call ~~ Tweak those theme css files, or don't. Change default away from using a "quirked" theme, or don't.
As is, IMO, the blurriness of bolded fonts represents an immediate distraction/aggravation.
I don't know how to tweak css files beyond maybe changing text colour, but from your comments above, it would appear that the non-tweaked original Greybird worked properly in MX16.1? Did you try it?

Is anyone able to check on this in MX17a3 or a4? Maybe install the unaltered Greybird from Debian Stretch if it's not already in the MX alpha.

What exactly is the difference in the tweaked Greybird theme that would cause this? Because IIRC, the tweak was just to make the borders thicker and more "grabbable" for resizing, and the panel colour.

I won't be able to test anything on my home computer for some time.

Thanks.

SwampRabbit

#16 Post by SwampRabbit »

I believe it is doing the same thing default in MX-17a4 like skidoo describes.
Screenshot_mx17a4.png
It sort of "fuzzes" up the text and puts a drop shadow which helps less.

Other than that, no gripes or issues using MX-17a4, except the default desktop wall paper now, the odd green/blue on is nice, but it kinda hurts the eyes a bit. I really like the night sky one with the giant MX logo though, very creative!
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

Heehee. The green/purple one is coincidentally by skidoo. I really like its "neon Wimbledon" vibe. But yes, it's very bright.

D_O is just using a different default background on every alpha for fun. No decision has been made yet on final choice for default.

Could someone install the official Greybird to compare? Greybird-mx17 is the tweaked one.

SwampRabbit

#18 Post by SwampRabbit »

Well the green/purple background (sorry I am blue green colorblind a bit) (or I forgot what it looked like already since I closed that VM) by skidoo is a fine background... just not my thing. :happy:

I don't think I've seen a bad user contributed wallpaper yet, pretty amazing work being done by everyone.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

eugen-b

#19 Post by eugen-b »

Here is the dmesg output with my WiFi connection problem: https://hastebin.com/ojobatihop.coffeescript
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

richb
Administrator

#20 Post by richb »

SwampRabbit wrote:I believe it is doing the same thing default in MX-17a4 like skidoo describes.
Screenshot_mx17a4.png

It sort of "fuzzes" up the text and puts a drop shadow which helps less.

Other than that, no gripes or issues using MX-17a4, except the default desktop wall paper now, the odd green/blue on is nice, but it kinda hurts the eyes a bit. I really like the night sky one with the giant MX logo though, very creative!
I see the slight "fuzzing" as well. I wonder if it has to do with the contrast of the light blue highlighting? I do not see the same with the xfce-4,6 theme that has a darker blue background. A guess on my part, not really understanding the science of visual acuity.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”