Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

Do you need a 32 bit distro?

Yes
59%
No
38%
Not sure
3%

Total votes: 157

Adrian
Developer

Re: How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

#61 Post by Adrian »

I skied in Canaan Valley...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#62 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rokytnji.1 wrote:Canaan Valley West Virginia is where I will be the weekend of July 6. I'll be leaving the last day of June and mosey my way up there. Give me a PM and I'll drop by D.O. Unless you don't want me to scare the kids.

http://canaanvillage.com/

:dodance: :fishing: :celebrate: :pint:
I would love it, but I no longer live there. I got an uncle close, and canaan is great country.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

stroudmw

#63 Post by stroudmw »

I've got a very old (circa 2004) HP desktop. I use it for the occasional office docs, email and web browsing. It works so well on lightweight 32 bit distros that I can't justify the expense of replacing it!

SwampRabbit

#64 Post by SwampRabbit »

I'm just seeing this thread, but I do at times need a 32bit version of MX-Linux to run in VMs, as well as just 32bit packages for things like Steam.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

LnoyBoy

#65 Post by LnoyBoy »

Also late to the party. My trusty old Toshiba Satellite A105 just keeps plugging along. I've been running straight Debian on it. Am in the process of switching it over to MX.

Thank You.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#66 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

This is one OS where contrary to other bits seems to run better on older hardware as newer releases arrive. - mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

penguin

#67 Post by penguin »

In this moment I am working on a 32 bit distro installed on 64 bit machine with 4 MB ram ! (Some days before I installed MX 32bit on 2 old 32bit laptops and I decided to try 32bit version on 64 bit machine - boot and run from SD Card ).
Result ? MX 32 bit uses less memory (maybe half of 64 bit ) and seems very good responsible.For me it 32 bit version is worthy for one that use internet, office,email and playing songs.

vamsi

#68 Post by vamsi »

Yes of course we need 32 bit version and i am big fan of MX and i am using 32 bit with 1 gb ram with compiz this is actually cool it is actually working great than windows or another linux so don't plan anything like stopping support for 32 bit...

vamsi

#69 Post by vamsi »

penguin wrote:In this moment I am working on a 32 bit distro installed on 64 bit machine with 4 MB ram ! (Some days before I installed MX 32bit on 2 old 32bit laptops and I decided to try 32bit version on 64 bit machine - boot and run from SD Card ).
Result ? MX 32 bit uses less memory (maybe half of 64 bit ) and seems very good responsible.For me it 32 bit version is worthy for one that use internet, office,email and playing songs.
Lol 4MB Ram!!! :p :p :happy: :happy:

penguin

#70 Post by penguin »

Lol 4MB Ram!!! :p :p :happy: :happy:
At a computer trade show in 1981, Bill Gates .... "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
Seriously now.On last week I run MX Linux 2 GB on an 10 years old laptop HP -32bit and I did notice using of swap.4 GB for Linux is enough also if you run it as live distro. As I said , 32 bit use less memory.

Return to “General”