Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

Do you need a 32 bit distro?

Yes
59%
No
38%
Not sure
3%

Total votes: 157

duane

Re: How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

#51 Post by duane »

Several of my machines are old as dirt so I will use the non pae kernel so long as you provide it.
However I am only buying 64 bit desktop computers now so in a few years I may not have need of it.
The wife keeps prodding me to get rid of the old stuff.
That might be a factor. LOL.
I try not to admit to being a junk collector but the evidence says otherwise.
Still playing with 32 bit tablets.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

rust collector

#52 Post by rust collector »

I guess there are still quite a few of the thinkpads with the pentium M running, which iIrc, need a non-pae, or fake pae.
The other manufacturers probably used them too, but their users might not be as special as the thinkpad guys?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#53 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the real question is... does anyone have 32 bit-only hardware yet run more than 4gb of ram? All of my 32bit only gear doesn't support that much ram anyway.

incidentally, I voted yes for the 32bit, but I do not need a pae kernel. All my 32bit-only stuff is limited to 2gb of ram. Even the old Pentium couldn't take more than 4gb IIRC, and I retired it long ago.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

IAMSOANGRY

#54 Post by IAMSOANGRY »

The man with the Dell Mini 9, he says yes!!!!!

sanlav

#55 Post by sanlav »

to quote:
Even the old Pentium couldn't take more than 4gb ...
and add a newer video card on AGP with 512 Mb RAM like Radeon 16xx Pro AGP or something equivalent which to equals 4.5 Gb meaning PAE became neccessary to use all that the old-horse could offer...

Edit : As long as major distros keep 32bit versions for any or all reasons considered by their developers I don't quite get it why MX should do differently...

azrielle

#56 Post by azrielle »

Looking into the future, the vast majority of users and potential users needing a 32 bit OS alternative to Windows will be the proud owners of Atom n2xx and z5xx based PCs, primarily early netbooks; ALL of the later Atoms were 64bit capable.
At the moment, based on personal experience, MX16 runs fairly well on 2GB equipped n270 netbooks by Acer, eMachines, and ASUS. Well enough that there is little justification to downgrade one's user experience with the more rudimentary GUIs of AntiX, even though it IS speedier--menus open near instantaneous, as opposed to a 0.75 second delay with MX, for example.
If one deliberately shoots oneself in the foot by refusing to replace the nearly useless 1GB DDR-2 RAM card with a ~$15 2GB card, then there is some justification for living with AntiX, though the menu opening delay with MX is still not much more than a second. Videos greater than 360p are not playable, 272p is recommended. Along with a more rudimentary web browser than Firefox, Chrome/Chromium, or Opera.
Last edited by azrielle on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#57 Post by rokytnji.1 »

What was ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said here fits me to a T. I will be taking my touchscreen intel n270 M & A companion netbook on my West Virginia motorcycle trip and getting online using my Verizon phone in the Hill Billy mountains. Using my 4G as a hotspot.

SMTube for youtube. So I'll have to move on on my atom netbook <antix> if MX decides it is too much work for maintaining 32 bit gear.

I'm flexible though. So no biggy.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#58 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rokytnji.1 wrote:What was ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said here fits me to a T. I will be taking my touchscreen intel n270 M & A companion netbook on my West Virginia motorcycle trip and getting online using my Verizon phone in the Hill Billy mountains. Using my 4G as a hotspot.

SMTube for youtube. So I'll have to move on on my atom netbook <antix> if MX decides it is too much work for maintaining 32 bit gear.

Where you going? Wv is home. ..
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

jmyersWVa

#59 Post by jmyersWVa »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
rokytnji.1 wrote:What was ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said here fits me to a T. I will be taking my touchscreen intel n270 M & A companion netbook on my West Virginia motorcycle trip and getting online using my Verizon phone in the Hill Billy mountains. Using my 4G as a hotspot.

Where you going? Wv is home. ..
OT --> I'm interested also. Lots off nice routes/roads... etc,that will keep you (for lack of a better word) attentive at the path/scenery.
(Done)

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#60 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Canaan Valley West Virginia is where I will be the weekend of July 6. I'll be leaving the last day of June and mosey my way up there. Give me a PM and I'll drop by D.O. Unless you don't want me to scare the kids.

http://canaanvillage.com/

:dodance: :fishing: :celebrate: :pint:

Return to “General”