Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

Do you need a 32 bit distro?

Yes
59%
No
38%
Not sure
3%

Total votes: 157

plzd

Re: How many of you need a 32 bit distro?

#41 Post by plzd »

My machine is 64bit, but my mom's old R61 is running MX16 32bit.
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

Adrian
Developer

#42 Post by Adrian »

plzd

#43 Post by plzd »

the last time I attempted a 64bit usb installed it was a no-go... so....

[EDIT] I was WRRRRRRR... I stand corrected! I must have confused it with some other past machine :frown: I just tried my latest 64bit snapshot for my Dell e6220 and it did play fine on my mom's machine... SORRY about that. Thanks for causing me to upgrade my thinking! :happy:
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

ptlivestock

#44 Post by ptlivestock »

I'm on my 3rd 64 bit machine since 2009, all purchased new and run on Mepis and now MX, the climate and the power system dont treat computers well.

That aside, for nearly 20 years, Ive built up functioning machines from junk so cost has been ziltch. As time has moved on the software and the hardware have advanced and thus my rebuilds have advanced but as there is a not a ready supply of old used gear here so it got to the stage here where I had to can everything and move on.

I have a newly installed 64bit MX-16 and the only reason Ive set up a 32bit version is that I cobbled up a 32bit motherboard I came by into a box and setup that had been 64bit. The purpose being as a back up to my 64bit and as something for my wife and grandchildren could tinker on which has worked out very well with MX15 non PAE. If I had come by a second hand 64bit board I wouldnt be pursuing 32bit. The 32bit install of MX-16 on the old computer is working beautifully by the way and almost seems as fast as the 64bit one despite the difference in ages of the motherboards and chips.

So for now, yes to 32bit for those that may not be in a position to get hold of 64 bit machines, but as time moves on, will 32bit become a dinosaur like my old Amiga 1200 I used from 1998 to 2007 as my main machine. By about 2004 It just became impossible to keep up with the advances in technology

eugen-b

#45 Post by eugen-b »

Hi everybody!
I still have a netbook and a VIA thin client which are 32bit only. I already switched from Manjaro to antiX NET on the VIA machine, will probably switch to it on the netbook, too, if Arch will have dropped 32bit and the community repo will not provide a reliable substitute.
I think Linux distros should drop 32bit so the users get a "kick ass" incentive to migrate to BSD or other alternative free OS.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

rust collector

#46 Post by rust collector »

Need... no, not really. I have a few 64 bit capable machines.
Want, yes, as I don't see any reason to stop using my 32 bit machines...

anticapitalista
Developer

#47 Post by anticapitalista »

Can I broaden the question a bit to those that use 32 bit?

How many 32 bit users *need* the non-pae kernel?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

ptlivestock

#48 Post by ptlivestock »

I need non-pae for the old processor in my backup/wifes machine, but the motherboard on that machine could be changed if the current one fails. A bit of a throw of the dice really because I would replace the board with a much newer second hand one. Basically I'm using non-pae because its available

xali

#49 Post by xali »

i use a 32 bit non pae mx distro, so migrating to something else will be a problem.
but i will not complain if that is not supported, i will find my way somehow. I prefer you, the developers , to keep up with something you want and can make as good as you want rather than run here and there to cover everything

Adrian
Developer

#50 Post by Adrian »

No worries, like I said as long as there are users and Debian supports 32bit (and I don't think they will drop support anytime soon) we'll support it.

Return to “General”