live-usb-maker

asqwerth
Developer

Re: live-usb-maker

#11 Post by asqwerth »

For me it's the opposite. The old tool never worked while LUM works great.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:Ah, but in mx16 there is a link in the home folder to Live-USB Storage which allows the users a space to write to the leftover usb space.
Never saw that link. What is its name? Over here, demo has no access to leftover space at all. only root has.

I tried to clone with LUM but it failed ("cannot find extlinux or sth.") and the clone drive does not boot. I keep using the old MX15 tool as well.
screenie.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

skidoo

#13 Post by skidoo »

"Clone mode [...] cannot find extlinux"
That sure seems like a bug. If the tool wrote logfiles:
/var/log/live-usb-maker.errors
/var/log/live-usb-maker.log
might be helpful for BitJam if you send copies of the logfiles as PM attachments

"with LUM I got that (grub text based?) boot screen"
Your PC supports efi boot? It must, b/c AFAIK, that's the only way you could wind up with that result.
If you can enter BIOS setup and disable efi (or, some bios versions allow you to select "attempt legacy boot first, then, as a fallback, attempt efi") forcing it to use legacy boot will restore availability of the feature-rich bootmenu.

"Over here, demo has no access to leftover space at all."
I have no efi boot devices to test & am wondering whether users with efi boot wind up with that 'no access' result.
Dear ( ͡°face ͡°), you should be able to activate that feature (if it is currently off) by choosing "dostore" from bootmenu F4 options along with choosing F8 Save. It's sticky/remembered, no need to repeat that at each boot. An efi boot user would (i guess) press Tab key and type dostore into the bootline to activate (and ?make permanent by editing grub config file?)

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

Wu Peng wrote:I ran into LUM problems too. But I better not post here, lest I run the risk of getting banned, like Hermann, the German. You find me on the alternate forum.
So why do you post here at all?

I have never seen anybody being banned for posting problem reports, Hermann I have the impression that was trolling this forum re-opening all kind of 5-year old threads to post pretty much nothing, not very surprised he was banned.

So, if you genuinely want to talk about your problems please go ahead and post here. If you want _you_ to become a subject then better use any alternate forum.

Adrian
Developer

#15 Post by Adrian »

That's because I haven't seen any newbies being so passive aggressive in one post, now two. Newbies usually say "hey, I have a problem, I ran this command and I got this error, what can I do?" they don't go ahead and talk about known trolls in their first post and start by threatening us that they are going to post on a different forum.

skidoo

#16 Post by skidoo »

demo cannot store stuff on the SD card, only root can.
I have no uefi hardware to test on.
Others have tested/verified whether that is enabled by default (the equivalent of "dostore" boot cheatcode) in uefi scenario?

Return to “General”