No samba in SM12-Solved

Earl57

No samba in SM12-Solved

#1 Post by Earl57 »

I've been using Mepis since 3.4.X and I have been ever since. I have always been reluctant to upgrade to newer versions--hey, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. M11 was growing stale before I finally moved up to 8.0(IMO THE best Mepis ever). I eventually loaded M11 (Roadblock-Awesome) finally finding a KDE4 setup that was almost the equal to KDE3. I went ahead and installed M12 on this desktop machine and am loving it!

Except for Samba. Home networking was always automatic with Mepis. One of many reasons I left Windows. This desktop was always my main server for movies, music, etc. that I could stream to all my other laptops and Android tablets. When I installed M12, Samba no longer works. Synaptic says samba is not installed, but I have smb4k.
Running smb4k in a terminal I get:

Norma@mepis12A2:~$ su
Password:
root@mepis12A2:/home/Norma# smb4k
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
unnamed app(3829): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

unnamed app(3828): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

root@mepis12A2:/home/Norma#

I tried reinstalling smb4k to no avail. I tried to install Samba and Synaptic was going to remove over 20 files and apps, including smb4k. Of course I didn't!
There seems to be 2 versions of Samba showing up in the repositories I am using. I can't get either one of them to install.

In all my years using Mepis, this is the first time I have had a problem. (I sure can't say that about windows). Anybody else have this problem?
Last edited by Earl57 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: No samba in SM12

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

Why are you trying to run smb4k as root? It runs quite well if you start it from your user account.
If you must start it while you are root for some reason, use the command:

Code: Select all

dbus-launch smb4k
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Earl57

#3 Post by Earl57 »

It wouldn't run as user either. I was looking at editing my smb.conf file, too, so I su'd and ran smb4k to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

I read somewhere that mx14 actually has Samba installed. I downloaded mx14--both PAE and non-PAE versions at work, copied them to my Android tablet, brought them home to burn to disk. Since I couldn't SMB to the desktop, I downloaded from the tablet by running the ftp server on the tablet and logging to it from my desktop PC. At least I knew my router wasn't the problem. I also tried plugging in a usb cable and used gmtp to download the non-pae version. It worked perfectly.

Burned the disk -PAE version, booted to it, compared smb.conf files, basically identical. Still getting the same error messages. I am looking at enabling some different repositories to see if that makes a difference. I find what looks like Samba 3 and Samba 4 and neither one will install.

Now I get a much shorter list of files to remove--4 or 5 but when I click on install, they all turn red, like a broken package does, and I get en error message when I try to fix broken packages!

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

I have Samba installed in both M12 & MX-14, so I know it can be done just fine.
What packages are marked for removal when you try to install Samba 4 (2:4.1.11)? They could be no longer needed.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Earl57

#5 Post by Earl57 »

I didn't make a copy of the list of the apps that were going to be removed. I remember DeVeDe, VLC, mencoder being amongst them.

I was playing around with some MX repositories and updated and got rid of most of the problems, now saying only 4 or 5 files to be removed. Some progress anyway. I was beginning to wonder if I had some lib file or something that was maybe pinned to an earlier version. Not really sure how to deal with this, but I opened Synaptic and changed my Preferences tab from "prefer highest version" to "prefer versions from wheezy-backports" and reloaded. I tried again to install Samba and it was going to pull in 4 or 5 additional files.
It installed successfully this time! Smb4k is still installed and opened with no errors, too. I think perhaps one of the lib files or dependent files that the install pulled in replaced one that was pinned and/or possibly corrupt. Anyway, it all works now.

New problem--I couldn't see any of my folders that were shared before running M7 and M8. I couldn't make any of the shares stick until I opened Dolphin as su and shared from there. Now I can see all my shared folders from my laptops and tablets!

How do I mark this as solved?

Return to “General”