M12 11.9.92

KrispyKritter

Re: M12 11.9.92

#281 Post by KrispyKritter »

kmathern wrote:
KrispyKritter wrote:...No cheats needed...
With the roadblock install, the nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=640x480-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap items are cheats, the Kubuntu install isn't using any though. I wonder if that video=blahblah cheat works with M12?

I see that see the Kubuntu install is using a 3.11 kernel, have you tried MX-14? It also uses a 3.11 kernel.

$ lspci -vnn | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series] [1002:791f] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

demo@mx1:~
$ quiet antiX=MLX

I am posting from MX14 demo. It loaded with out any problems. It appears that the video drivers between it and M12b2 are the same. The only difference that I know of at this time is the Kernel. The Kernel version should be transparent in my opinion. This causes me to question the compatibility of the ATI driver that M12b2 is using and that Kernel. I cannot get into M12b2 to the point of changing video drivers.

Steve
I messed with the dragon and now I am ready for the ketchup!
The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer.

~Krispy Kritter~
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7427(AMD-64)
Windows7/M11(KDE4.6.5)/M11(RoadblockTRK2-32)'buntus13.1/MX14b2/Tanglu1.0

Danum

#282 Post by Danum »

Steve try this version of Mepis 12, the kernel has been updated plus a few other things

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 89&t=34967
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

KrispyKritter

#283 Post by KrispyKritter »

Thanks John,

I am downloading it now. BTW how are things over in Merrie Olde England.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

KrispyKritter

#284 Post by KrispyKritter »

I am posting from Danum's version. It appears to me that there is a conflict between M12b2's kernel and the ATI driver that Warren is loading. I have drawn this conclusion from the fact that both Danum's and MX14b2 both work and they have a newer kernel than M12b2.

lspci -vnn | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series] [1002:791f] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

cat /proc/cmdline
initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live nottyautologin BOOT_IMAGE=/live/vmlinuz

The ATI driver is the same in all three systems with the only change being the kernel versions.

I guess this information should be passed on to Warren to ponder when he finds time to work on M12 again.

It is strange that with this being out since October that no one has encountered this before me.

Steve

~Krispy Kritter~

kmathern
Developer

#285 Post by kmathern »

KrispyKritter wrote:It is strange that with this being out since October that no one has encountered this before me.

Steve
It's been out longer than that, the 11.9.92 isos were released on Aug. 10th, and the 3.9 kernel was added to Warren's repo in July.

http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/released/
http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/package ... n/l/linux/

johnnyhop

#286 Post by johnnyhop »

Prepared usb stick with unetbootin. No problems booting in live mode and connecting to legacy wireless pci wireless adapter. Successfully tested software I routinely use and all hardware did fine. Then shut down, removed the wireless adapter and plugged in a much faster USB wireless adapter which needed a 3.x... kernal, booted up again and all was well connecting to wireless. Then installed to my 14gb test partition. After about two weeks was so pleased with the 12 beta performance the I decided to delete it from the test partition and install into the partition formerly running M11. After the fact noticed swap wasn't running after the install, swapon remidied that. I've had no crashes or other issues and wonder when 12 is expected to be updated to RC. I've yet to see any news on that subject, maybe haven't looked in the right place.

richb
Administrator

#287 Post by richb »

johnnyhop wrote:Prepared usb stick with unetbootin. No problems booting in live mode and connecting to legacy wireless pci wireless adapter. Successfully tested software I routinely use and all hardware did fine. Then shut down, removed the wireless adapter and plugged in a much faster USB wireless adapter which needed a 3.x... kernal, booted up again and all was well connecting to wireless. Then installed to my 14gb test partition. After about two weeks was so pleased with the 12 beta performance the I decided to delete it from the test partition and install into the partition formerly running M11. After the fact noticed swap wasn't running after the install, swapon remidied that. I've had no crashes or other issues and wonder when 12 is expected to be updated to RC. I've yet to see any news on that subject, maybe haven't looked in the right place.
Please read this.

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 52#p329452
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

tascoast

#288 Post by tascoast »

Just a brief query on M12 (SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.92_32.iso).

I have M11 and MX-14 dual booting just fine (Firefox update hanging in MX-14 but otherwise OK) and running VirtualBox for XP legacy purposes and previewing other distributions.

I have an additional 20GB partition prepared for a third OS but found the M12 disc responds very slowly, sometimes not even loading correctly to the login. While the 'live' features work fine when it is running, trying 'install' initially looks like it is loading but then nothing happens for many minutes and then, the install dialogue just seems to hang forever so I've ceased trying for now. I can't see any obvious answer here though I've had M12 running under VB before without problems. That said and still pondering another OS to install....(although I shan't be too worried if M12 doesn't want to install for now)

I would like to know if there's any news on M12 other than noted in this thread already, suspecting it might be a matter of patience, but further, any opinion re: if M12 would offer much else given the current setup noted above? My recent look at other linux distributions was less than encouraging in a search for a third system to install.
kindly

Mick
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

richb
Administrator

#289 Post by richb »

No new news on M12.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joany

#290 Post by joany »

tascoast wrote:Just a brief query on M12 (SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.92_32.iso).

I have M11 and MX-14 dual booting just fine (Firefox update hanging in MX-14 but otherwise OK) and running VirtualBox for XP legacy purposes and previewing other distributions.

I have an additional 20GB partition prepared for a third OS but found the M12 disc responds very slowly, sometimes not even loading correctly to the login. While the 'live' features work fine when it is running, trying 'install' initially looks like it is loading but then nothing happens for many minutes and then, the install dialogue just seems to hang forever so I've ceased trying for now. I can't see any obvious answer here though I've had M12 running under VB before without problems. That said and still pondering another OS to install....(although I shan't be too worried if M12 doesn't want to install for now)

I would like to know if there's any news on M12 other than noted in this thread already, suspecting it might be a matter of patience, but further, any opinion re: if M12 would offer much else given the current setup noted above? My recent look at other linux distributions was less than encouraging in a search for a third system to install.
kindly

Mick
You already have MX-14 and M11 installed, but M11 is getting a little long in the tooth. Since you're having problems installing M12 beta, you would like an alternative OS (preferably with KDE) replace your aging M11. Am I correct?

That's pretty much where I stood as well, except I was using M8.5 instead of M11. I got tired of waiting for M12 beta to be finalized and I really needed an upgrade, so I installed KDE on MX-14. I now have pretty much the same system as Wheezy-based M12, complete with the MEPIS community repositories. It does take a bit of work to get KDE running smoothly when you install it from scratch -- Warren always did most of that work for us -- but I'm very happy with the results. You may want to consider doing the same.

What kept me from migrating to another OS was the MEPIS Community Forum. I know I wouldn't get the same level of support anywhere else. If it weren't for MX-14, I'd have probably migrated to AntiX-13 and installed KDE on that.

As far as the future of M12 goes, it's anyone's guess. Warren is aware of the MX-14 project and has linked to it from his web site. Maybe he'll wait for Debian Jessie and start over with M15. I came across this interview of Warren. I think the interview occurred in 2012, when he was trying to get M12 to run on UEFI. The tone of his responses was somewhat laconic and he didn't sound very positive, but I'll let you be the judge of that.
Warren wrote: "On the other hand, Windows 8 is biggest pile of crap operating system I have ever used. So, I’d say there could be a place for desktop Linux in the future, if we can figure out the new installation issues."
The fact there "could" be a place for desktop Linux isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Maybe he thinks the days of desktop Linux and desktop computing in general are numbered, and mobile devices will take over.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “General”