M12 sources.list

kmathern
Developer

Re: M12 sources.list

#11 Post by kmathern »

In the past I've had bad results using "deb http://http.debian.net/debian". When it was working it was very fast, but other times I would need to reload or 'apt-get update' several times to get a good update.

I decided to go with Gaer Boy's suggestion. I kept the ".us" and added some notes about using a different mirror.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

I think using the note is the better way, thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Danum

#13 Post by Danum »

Henry, a lot depends on which Debian disk you install, if you look at the pic below you will see how Debian version I have just installed would be configured for you, and it is a fast mirror, I just checked, (I added contrib and non-free)

As for debian.net a lot depends on where you live, as to how well it works.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

kmathern
Developer

#14 Post by kmathern »

I decided to add the stub tags "{{stub}}" to indicate that the wiki entry still needs some work.

The list shown in the wiki is for a traditional /etc/apt/sources.list file.

M11.9.91 and the earlier alphas and betas use two source files, /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list & /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mepis.list. We need to figure out how to handle that.

Should we show two separate files?

Should we try to get Warren to go back to a single /etc/apt/sources.list file?

Danum

#15 Post by Danum »

kmathern wrote:I decided to add the stub tags "{{stub}}" to indicate that the wiki entry still needs some work.

The list shown in the wiki is for a traditional /etc/apt/sources.list file.

M11.9.91 and the earlier alphas and betas use two source files, /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list & /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mepis.list. We need to figure out how to handle that.

Should we show two separate files?

Should we try to get Warren to go back to a single /etc/apt/sources.list file?
Kent, as it is setup now there will be problems, big problems,
add an entry to the sources list using synaptic and it will be entered in /etc/apt/sources.list, not /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ???
even debian do not use /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ???,
If it aint broke, don't try to fix it, comes to mind, the only reason it is setup in Mepis as it is, is because that is how Siduction is setup
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Jerry3904
Administrator

#16 Post by Jerry3904 »

I merged the two to match earlier formats, which is also shown in the generated sources.list. Now it seems to me that we should start by describing the actual situation, then give each list separately with the source for each. Something like this:
In M12, the traditional sources.list still exists, but is uneditable (true?) since it is created from these two components:
/etc/apt/.../debian.list
<here repos>
/etc/apt/.../mepis.list
<here repos>
I am not in M12 during the work day, so there may be errors here, but what do people think of the idea of presenting it like this? I can't see convincing Warren of changing back...though we can suggest it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

kmathern
Developer

#17 Post by kmathern »

Danum wrote:...Kent, as it is setup now there will be problems, big problems,
add an entry to the sources list using synaptic and it will be entered in /etc/apt/sources.list, not /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ???
even debian do not use /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ???,
If it aint broke, don't try to fix it, comes to mind, the only reason it is setup in Mepis as it is, is because that is how Siduction is setup
M11.9.91 also still has the /etc/apt/sources.list file with it's header block that causes some problems. http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 58#p319358

Replacing the /etc/apt/sources.list file that M11.9.91 comes with, with the wiki list would solve the header problem.

The /etc/apt/sources.list file is currently sort of an orphan, it's not installed by any package, so I don't think it would be overwritten by a package update {like from mepis-config}.
Last edited by kmathern on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaer Boy

#18 Post by Gaer Boy »

Following the posts above, I've looked at the details of my sources. From a clean install 2 days ago, I've used Synaptic 9 times to update and install packages, plus once today to add a repo and install my printer drivers - 10 times in all.

My sources.list file is now 6220 lines, only one of which has any relevance (the bchemnet suldr repo). So adding a repo via synaptic edits sources.list and using synaptic adds multiple redundant lines to sources.list. Apart from providing the initial repos, the lists in sources.list.d don't seem to have any relevance.

We need to have a method that works as a whole, and reverting to a single sources.list file seems to be the best answer. It's not as if we have dozens of repos which need to split into separate lists.

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

kmathern
Developer

#19 Post by kmathern »

Gaer Boy wrote:Following the posts above, I've looked at the details of my sources. From a clean install 2 days ago, I've used Synaptic 9 times to update and install packages, plus once today to add a repo and install my printer drivers - 10 times in all.

My sources.list file is now 6220 lines, only one of which has any relevance (the bchemnet suldr repo). So adding a repo via synaptic edits sources.list and using synaptic adds multiple redundant lines to sources.list. Apart from providing the initial repos, the lists in sources.list.d don't seem to have any relevance.

We need to have a method that works as a whole, and reverting to a single sources.list file seems to be the best answer. It's not as if we have dozens of repos which need to split into separate lists.

Phil
patzy's sources.list grew to be 222MB because of the header block: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 58#p319358. I first reported the issue with the header block here: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 81#p313081. If you use the wiki sources.list it gets rid of that header block problem.

Gaer Boy

#20 Post by Gaer Boy »

kmathern wrote:patzy's sources.list grew to be 222MB because of the header block: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 58#p319358. I first reported the issue with the header block here: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 81#p313081. If you use the wiki sources.list it gets rid of that header block problem.
Agreed, Kent - and I can do that easily enough. My point was that Warren has to be persuaded to change the setup or we are going to confuse a lot of new users.

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Return to “General”