News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

systemd according to Luke Smith

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: systemd according to Luke Smith

Post by sunrat » Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm

Richard wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:46 pm
Well, at least most installers nowadays,
ask before reformatting the swap area. :)
True, Richard, but most is not all. I have installed a few random distros lately and a couple have given no option to not format swap. IIRC in one I did not specify a swap partition in the installer to get around it. systemd can automatically mount a swap partition on a GPT disk without an fstab entry anyway - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sw ... by_systemd

mx-2018
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mx-2018 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am

I am still a Linux beginner and for me the existence of systemd would be the last thing I check when choosing a distro. My priority is the distro have to be stable and doesn't rely on only one or two developers to maintain it.

As a beginner, I can only rely on the experts' opinions. When I heard Linus Torvalds himself mentioning the benefits of systemd, that was enough for me to relax and not think too much about it.
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm

mx-2018 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am
I am still a Linux beginner and for me the existence of systemd would be the last thing I check when choosing a distro. My priority is the distro have to be stable and doesn't rely on only one or two developers to maintain it.

As a beginner, I can only rely on the experts' opinions. When I heard Linus Torvalds himself mentioning the benefits of systemd, that was enough for me to relax and not think too much about it.
Like you , I dont know much about the inner workings of these init systems . But philosophically, I like the idea of small programs that do one thing well. Thats why I would never install an iphone controlled home thermostat system or electronically controlled blinds, - I think the ones made in the 1960s work just fine ! I like the nice sturdy up/down mechanical light switches. I would never by a software controlled car (tesla). Why? Because things break. There are bugs. And you want to minimize bugs in critical infrastructure.

I like to think of things like systemd and pulseaudio as "middle managers", bureaucrats, - always sounds good at first - after all why not have a middle manager take charge of what 10 different employees are doing - and coordinate things. Over time , often, the overhead associated with such systems gets unwieldy, and bug prone, and takes on a life of its own. This is the problem with Windows.

It may be a bit more effort upfront to , for instance setup alsa audio ( compared to pulse). But once it is set, it just works. And it is optimized for ME - and how I use my system. I dont need to worry about what my "middle manager" is doing. I may not agree with the tradeoffs he is making. he may be doing things to solve problems some else is having - adding overhead to my system.

Return to “General”