libreoffice

golden45

libreoffice

#1 Post by golden45 »

Why is libre office part of mxlinux it takes a lot of space on hard drive and how many users are there?It can be installed if needed.thanks john

asqwerth
Developer

Re: libreoffice

#2 Post by asqwerth »

MX Linux was always meant to be a full-featured OOTB distro. The idea is that upon installation, everyday users should have all the usual sort of programs necessary to carry out regular tasks like viewing, editing and creating documents.

It is not meant to be a bare bones distro.

In any case, choice of default programmes on a distro is something which is very subjective and there is never going to be 100% agreement on the choices, and it's not just MX.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Justinian

#3 Post by Justinian »

Stevo explained to me some months back that the MX-15 Core community respin was the last of its line because MX could no longer be squeezed into 700 MB for CDs. This was after I brought up the antiX-17 Base installation I did on a single-core 32-bit laptop, adding Palemoon and Apache OOo. Both perform well. I also have full MX-17.1 on a dual core desktop where 64-bit FF and LO live happily. I believe a Core or Base iso of MX-18 would be attractive to many users even if it approaches a gigabyte. With optional browser and office online installation shortcuts of course.
Merry Christmas!

Gordon Cooper

#4 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Hello John. I fully appreciate your question, but consider that asqwerth's reply explains the situation. There are applications in MX that I do not use. Firefox is one of them. I therefore use the MXPI or Synaptic PM to delete those that are unwanted/not needed. This takes only a few minutes and creates the space needed for preferred programmes. Whatever the team decides to include in standard MX, can never please everybody. We all need a bit of tolerance to respect the overall view, and tidy the supplied standard to suit our needs.
Merry Christmas -- Gordon.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

dphn

#5 Post by dphn »

A minimal-release of MX 18 with the artwork and MX-Tools would be great. On a work station I need no games and with another machine I want to play.

My way to create systems is a minimal base.

The intention of MX-Devs is to provide one Image with all of them to makes it easier for beginners. In German we say "Eierlegende Wolmilchsau". A second minimal ISO would be fine, but there is no one. So I use the antiX-core and create my own spins with my personal collection of things that I like. It's a good choice to collect items for different purposes.

LibreOffice is one of them and the biggest, of course. On my main machine I use Softmaker Office. LibreOffice deinstall is hard, there are 100 packages with fonts, gtk-theme, language-packs, help-files, and tons of libs. Eliminate all of them is triggy. Better is, when the components are not pre-installed.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Fun part about MX: you can always uninstall what you don't need, then create a new USB stick with what is left.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

+1 to Eadwine Rose's post.

There is nothing stopping any user from making their own minimalist/core version from MX-live by removing and installing whatever you want on the live boot, and then remastering it so that the live USB is now the core version. Using that, one can then install your core version in any other computer.

Note:
Trying to build an MX-core distro with MX Tools from antix base may or may not be a little tricky as well, since antix doesn't use the systemd-shim and has a separate nosystemd repo which may conflict with MX's repos. For instance, antiX doesn't use network manager (which MX uses and which I believe needs the systemd-shim). Antix uses wicd/ceni which works but is less GUI-pretty.

I'm sure experts won't have problems converting repos and building MX-core from Antix, but since I'm no expert I would start with MX and remove what I don't need.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

I agree with asqwerth and Gordon Cooper's sentiment. The MX ootb experience is very useful, instructive, and also indicative of what can be done in a well thought out environment with excellent scripts/ tools. I think this is a large factor in why people like the distro so much and why it gets such excellent reviews. Once people use MX and understand what they can have, what they like/ need (and that comes faster for some than others) they can build their own environment(s).

To that end, for me and my little community, I have built two scripts that I run on a fresh install to build the app base to meet my/our needs. It did not take long to create and use snapshot to move things from place to place.

And as Frank SInatra once sang: "I did it my way". Linux is all about choice.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

golden45

#9 Post by golden45 »

Thank you all for your answers .I have uninstalled libreoffice to gain space on my old 32 bit computer. Its a small drive.I LEFT IT ON MY 64 BIT SYSTEM.thanks john

dphn

#10 Post by dphn »

asqwerth wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 am Note:
Trying to build an MX-core distro with MX Tools from antix base may or may not be a little tricky as well, since antix doesn't use the systemd-shim and has a separate nosystemd repo which may conflict with MX's repos. For instance, antiX doesn't use network manager (which MX uses and which I believe needs the systemd-shim). Antix uses wicd/ceni which works but is less GUI-pretty.

I'm sure experts won't have problems converting repos and building MX-core from Antix, but since I'm no expert I would start with MX and remove what I don't need.
I've done this. It's triggy, you're right. Before you install MX-Packages and systemd-shm you must purge a lot of nonsystemd packages and antix-apt antix-remaster cli-installer-antix and so on. Then you must import the right MX repos and then install system packages. Make this in virtualbox. I've got my own package list and install the wohle system with xargs and then I put my own configuration files to the system. It's a hard work, of course but only the starting point. When you know, what you must do it is always the same. Today when I create a new one, I've only install software selections for different purposes. Look my respin in the MX-Respin section. A mix of MX-Linux and LMDE3. Use different repos, but all is fine. All is based on Debian Stretch.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “General”