couldn't burn cd because system wouldn't unmount a blank CD

lonesomepoint

couldn't burn cd because system wouldn't unmount a blank CD

#1 Post by lonesomepoint »

I kept trying to burn an audio CD in Brasero, and all my blanks (I tried several in case one was a dud) kept ejecting with an unspecific error message. Eventually, I glanced in Thunar and noticed "Blank CD" was mounted. I forget whether the system said anything to hint that that was the problem, or whether I just guessed it; but Thunar wouldn't let me un-mount it. An error message kept appearing and disappearing much too fast to read, but from the size of the box, I think it was probably "there is data that needs to be written to the disc, etc." error message. I'm not really sure whether that CD was the one I just tried to burn, or a previous CD.

Not knowing how else to unmount it, I logged out of the GUI, and logged back in. The CD then burned without a problem. Well, if that worked, great, I guess; but does anyone know a solution that doesn't require me to log out? Something's not right here, because the error message shouldn't have disappeared too fast for me to read. Anyway, I would like to have tried unmounting the disc in a terminal, but I don't know the command.

fehlix
Developer

Re: couldn't burn cd because system wouldn't unmount a blank CD

#2 Post by fehlix »

lonesomepoint wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 pm I kept trying to burn an audio CD in Brasero, and all my blanks (I tried several in case one was a dud) kept ejecting with an unspecific error message.
Have you tried with Xfburn. Just in case, if it is one of those never-fixed Brasero bug's.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

lonesomepoint

Re: couldn't burn cd because system wouldn't unmount a blank CD

#3 Post by lonesomepoint »

fehlix wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am
lonesomepoint wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 pm I kept trying to burn an audio CD in Brasero, and all my blanks (I tried several in case one was a dud) kept ejecting with an unspecific error message.
Have you tried with Xfburn. Just in case, if it is one of those never-fixed Brasero bug's.
I did, and that's how I solved the problem. The thing is, it used to be the opposite: I quit using Xfburn a few years ago because I found out it was simply broken back then; it was the piece of junk, while Brasero worked. Now I tried Xfburn and found it has apparently been fixed, while you say Brasero is now bug-ridden.

Return to “General”