-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Are mepis.mirror catalogs morte?

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Are mepis.mirror catalogs morte?

#1 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Be gentle with me but am just doing (forced!) reinstalls of M8 and M11 on two machines because they (Mepis that is) still give a warm glow of nostalgia and am yet to feel comfortable with MX (though have just downloaded MX16 beta for a trial).

In the meantime an M8 repo.is giving problems -
http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/package ... elease.gpg: Could not connect to mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com:80 (204.45.83.86), connection timed out
I don't think it's gpg issue but have tried several times to overcome the problem and searched this site for possible solutions. Even tried to reach the site through a browser but that also times out.

Is it no more and should it be deleted from sources? What would be the implications of updating without it and would testrepo (usually only invoked for very specific packages) be any kind of substitute?

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Are mepis.mirror catalogs morte?

#2 Post by anticapitalista » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 pm

You will be lucky to get any sources working. It was released in early 2009, based on Debian lenny (repos are no longer maintained).
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Tim managed to mirror the MEPIS 12 repositories onto the community repository before they vanished into the aether; I'm not sure about the older versions, though it seems likely if they were all in the same pool.

The KDE respin I did for MX 15 is as close as you can get to MEPIS on MX.

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by v3g4n » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Time to move on man. Time would be better spent on getting MX to work to your liking. ;) As Stevo mentioned have you tried his KDE respin?

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 pm

You will be lucky to get any sources working. It was released in early 2009, based on Debian lenny (repos are no longer maintained).
M11 updated without difficulty. M8 is currently updating from the remaining 2 repos.
Tim managed to mirror the MEPIS 12 repositories onto the community repository before they vanished into the aether; I'm not sure about the older versions, though it seems likely if they were all in the same pool.
So are they accessible/usable from M8?
The KDE respin I did for MX 15 is as close as you can get to MEPIS on MX

Funny you should say that as I discovered that installing kwin as the window manager in MX gave a far more satisfactory experience with xfce than compiz!. But I did/do/will also find kde3 with compiz very acceptable.
Time to move on man. Time would be better spent on getting MX to work to your liking. ;) As Stevo mentioned have you tried his KDE respin?
I refer you to first para of OP.
Last edited by TenderFoot on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by entropyfoe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:26 pm

I loved the old Mepis 11 and 12 beta, but I have moved on.

On the old Lenny stuff,are there are security updates anymore?
Like the dirtyCOW privilege escalation bug.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17.1, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by TenderFoot » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:55 pm

It's not a matter of "moving on". My systems are multi-boot with more recent o/s's available but just like the occassional comfort of old friends!

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Utopia » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:07 am

M11 is probably the oldest version of Mepis that is safe to use. The kernel must be updated to a patched version. The one in Wheezy LTS works fine for me, only draws in a few other packages. Other vulnerabilities like the Graphite bug was fixed during and after the Squeeze LTS support.
You have to work hard to keep M11 in good shape and read all bug warnings. One day something will show up that you can't fix by editing a few configuration files.
Henry

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by TenderFoot » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 am

I'd just like to add that some "future protection" - against loss of repos - might be achieved if ApOnCD worked in M8/11 but it doesn't. At least not in a manner I comprehend. In my other favoured distros - which, ironically, don't need it because they can be remastered - automatically populates. So far as I can discern, each and every of the hundreds of packages has to be added manually with only the Synaptic history as a guide.

Nevertheless, thanks for advice.

Return to “Software / Configuration”