News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Dolphin and Konqueror.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Dolphin and Konqueror.

Post by eemaestro » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:58 am

Is Konqueror available for download from the MEPIS repo.'s under KDE 4 ?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by joany » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 pm

eemaestro wrote:Is Konqueror available for download from the MEPIS repo.'s under KDE 4 ?
I'm not sure about the MEPIS repos, but 4.8.4-2 is there in Debian Wheezy. This version number matches KDE 4.8.4. Is there a specific version you're looking for?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Konq in available for KDE 4.x
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by tascoast » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am

I confess I only worked out how to get a tree on the left pane of Dolphin yesterday in M11! I had a places arrangement that worked OK until then for all the partitions I might want handy. Admittedly I had tried to customise Dolphin before but shelved that project until recently. I do miss some of the right-click mouse menus and options to do something like 'format' a USB drive in MS but appreciate some of the other opportunities presented. I've occasionally used Konqueror and gather it was a great and popular 'utility' tool of sorts at one stage of Linux development.

Generally speaking I like a details view with easy sorting by type, size, date etc, thumbnails sometimes with media and the convenience of drop and dragging files and folders during housekeeping and archiving. Dolphin seems to do most things easily enough, although old habits can take time to break. Splitting right panes doesn't do much for me so far and seems confusing. Working with two Dolphin windows works for me if lots of files need rearranging, eg, source and destination respectively.

kindly Mick
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:19 am

Konqueror used to be my favorite file browser (I rarely used it as a web browser). That changed with KDE4. Konqueror can do more things than Dolphin, and I'm not sure if there's anything that Dolphin can do that Konqueror can't. But there's a lot in Konqueror that I don't (or, rarely) need, so Dolphin's better for me.

There are a couple of things that I can think of that I prefer about Konqueror. One is being able to have more than two split windows, and using top/bottom or left/right splits, or any combination of those. Another is being able to access the items in the KMenu with the Services button on the left sidebar -- that's come in handy for me at times. Those are a couple of things I wish Dolphin could do.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 am

Konqueror can do more than Dolphin? Yes, it can browse the web. But as a file manager? It can do different things, but I question more.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by malspa » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 am

richb wrote:Konqueror can do more than Dolphin? Yes, it can browse the web. But as a file manager? It can do different things, but I question more.
Well, I didn't say that Konqueror can do more things than Dolphin "as a file manager." I only said that it can do more things. I think that you might be right that as a file browser Konqueror can do different things, but not necessarily more things, than Dolphiin.

In any case, the two things I mentioned above are the only reasons I ever fire up Konqueror anymore. Once in a blue moon, pretty much.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 am

and I'm not sure if there's anything that Dolphin can do that Konqueror can't
For example, the find function in Dolphin is much more powerful than Konqueror's. I always thought Konqueror was schizophrenic, file browser, a web browser?
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

CaptainKirk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by CaptainKirk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50 am

One thing that Konqueror has that I can't find in Dolphin is the "File Size" view that gives a very useful graphic representation of the files in the tree, showing the (often unexpected) files that are taking up a lot of space.
Chris
ASUS A88XM-Av; Dual core AMD A6-5400K APU, Radeon HD Graphics; 8 Gb RAM; 250 Gb, 320 Gb, 2 Tb, 650 Gb HDD; 250 Gb SSD
MX-16 64-Bit with XFCE4 and KDE; MX-17 64-Bit with XFCE4

Toshiba Satellite R-10 101 laptop;
MX-15 32-Bit non-PAE XFCE4

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:15 am

CaptainKirk wrote:One thing that Konqueror has that I can't find in Dolphin is the "File Size" view that gives a very useful graphic representation of the files in the tree, showing the (often unexpected) files that are taking up a lot of space.
You might try baobab. It is a separate app that shows file sizes and also in a graphical representation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Rules

Rich

Return to “Software / Configuration”