-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Dolphin and Konqueror.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Dolphin and Konqueror.

#1 Post by GuiGuy » Fri May 30, 2014 4:59 pm

I have a website on a rented remote server.
To upload to the site I first have to login to the server via http and enable ftp functionality.
Then uploading etc. can be done by ftp as required.
Konqueror allows me to do both the enabling and the ftp from the same interface (the dual-pane mode is very convenient for ftp).

I have not found Dolphin to be any better than Konqueror for browsing local files, and Konqueror does some useful things which Dolphin does not.
So what is the point of Dolphin?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Dolphin and Konqueror.

#2 Post by joany » Fri May 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Although I don't use Dolphin as a web browser myself, here's a how-to for doing file transfers using ftp and Dolphin: http://userbase.kde.org/File_transfers# ... FTP_server

I don't understand your statement about the advantages of Konqueror's dual-pane. Dolphin has dual-pane also.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by GuiGuy » Fri May 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks, Joany, for the Dolphin ftp tip.
But what can Dolphin do that Konqueror cannot?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by lucky9 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Of the two Interfaces I prefer Dolphin. I'm certainly blind to any faults it may have, as I have very mundane needs, and just don't have to have this or that. I still consider myself a noobie when it comes to the pluses and minuses of the two. All I can say is that Dolphin has everything I need.

(I should add that when faced with the prospect of using Konq as a Browser I learned how to get Opera and Firefox....fast.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by GuiGuy » Fri May 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Must admit Konq is not normally my favourite web browser.
I find it perfectly adequate as a file browser.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by joany » Fri May 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Konqueror and Dolphin are basically interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. When KDE 4 came out, I was a bit taken aback with Dolphin, but it has really grown on me over time. The context search feature is really powerful. At this point, I would consider Konqueror to be a slight downgrade from Dolphin.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by Topher » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 pm

It has been a while since I used Konqueror so I may not remember it so well. What I really like about Dolphin is the left pane for places. I have four directories that are several layers deep that I can get to in one click instead of going down level by level. Just drag the folder (directory) that I want to get to into the left pane. Then it is one click to get there instead of several. I don't remember Konqueror being able to do that, but my rememberer doesn't work as well as my forgerterer.
MX16 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by GuiGuy » Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 am

Topher wrote:It has been a while since I used Konqueror so I may not remember it so well. What I really like about Dolphin is the left pane for places. I have four directories that are several layers deep that I can get to in one click instead of going down level by level. Just drag the folder (directory) that I want to get to into the left pane. Then it is one click to get there instead of several. I don't remember Konqueror being able to do that, but my rememberer doesn't work as well as my forgerterer.
In Konq you can bring up the left pane by pressing F9, and "places" can then be chosen - the folder dragging does work just as you describe.
I suspect that Konq actually incorporates the Dolphin functionality.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by joany » Sat May 31, 2014 8:36 am

Like Topher, I haven't used Konqueror in quite a while; it's not even installed on my system any more, so I can't make a side-by-side comparison (except from memory).

My initial reaction to Dolphin was, "Who ordered that?" It takes time to learn all the features of any new application, and most of Dolphin's features are not immediately obvious. Konqueror is probably more full-featured OOTB, and I agree with the OP that Dolphin isn't very impressive in its basic form. However, Dolphin is highly configurable and you can add lots and lots of bells and whistles to it. For example, if you have folders full of music files, you can add the Information Panel and preview the music from within that panel without having to launch a music player. You can preview video files that way also, if you install the right plug-in. I don't remember doing that with Konqueror, but maybe you can.

I admit that Konqueror may be superior as a web browser and file manager rolled into a single application, but that doesn't matter to me because I use Firefox as my web browser.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by lucky9 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Personal preference is always going to be a factor in a question like this. I keep Konq on the system. I use it on occasion. I couldn't tell you why or what for but I don't remove it. One reason (I think) is that, as far as I know, it's standards-compliant. So it may work better, for me, (mostly online) than other tools. But for day-in-day-out use I've become a Dolphin User. It wasn't always so. I remember when it and KDE4 hit the repositories. I waited for quite a while before making the plunge. Had all the usual types of problems when I finally did. (My 'muscle memory' must be immense, cause it took me through &*ll before I 'got it'.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Software / Configuration”