-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Negative scanning on Mepis 11

ptlivestock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Negative scanning on Mepis 11

#1 Post by ptlivestock » Wed May 28, 2014 5:29 am

With a new Epson V370 Photo Ive tried Xsane, Skanlite and Image Scan! to scan 35mm B&W negs and colour slides. All work to a degree but none seem to be up to the mark compared to Epsonscan on Windows.

Also I dabbled with the trial version of Vuescan and it does the job but not with the versatility of Epsonscan and I am uncertain as to whether the output ability is limited in the trial version.

My method is to scan at 300dpi and set the output to 3000x2000 to provide an image able to carry out repair work on, as some of the stuff I am doing is up to 60 years old and not had a wonderful life. Scanning at greater than 300dpi tends to rip the guts out of the image and can pick up the texture of the film. Perhaps this system is not by the book but Ive worked on it over ten years and it produces excellent screen images and high quality photographs.

So then, if anyone can impart to me their experiences and particularly under Linux. it would me most appreciated. In the meantime I have dropped a Win XP drive in the box alongside Mepis so that I can use Epsonscan, and then switch to Mepis from there on. About 5 years ago I did a similar thing with Mepis8 and a W2000 HD

Regards
Peter Trevor

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Negative scanning on Mepis 11

#2 Post by Gaer Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 5:44 am

I have an Epson 2480 Photo scanner and tried all apps you list. It was fine for basic document & photo print scanning, but I couldn't get a satisfactory result on negatives or slides. It's no longer my main scanner, so I only use it for negs and slides and run it on WinXP in VirtualBox. I doubt you'll find a better answer.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

ptlivestock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by ptlivestock » Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 am

Appreciate your comments "Gaer Boy". I'm thinking along those lines word for word. Previously I had 3490 very similar to this V370 but the climate here in the tropics got to it. Perhaps I will have to look at doing an emulation of Windows under My mepis and avoid this pesky rebooting from one drive to another :happy:

Regards

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by Gaer Boy » Wed May 28, 2014 7:05 am

WinXP runs very smoothly in VirtualBox. The only pain is the first installation of XP and its updates - I did that about 4 years ago and have been using the .vdi file ever since. I had a few problems with hardware recognition early on, but they are all resolved now - I don't know whether that's the result of VBox upgrades or my improving knowledge. I use XP for a couple of major applications, and I have it running on one desktop most of the time.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

ptlivestock
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by ptlivestock » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:24 am

Thanks for the advice given here

At the time i started this thread I had a need to get upwards of 3600 negatives scanned relatively quickly and couldn't see it was possible under Xsane so opted to run the scanner with the Epsonscan program from a Windows XP hard drive.

So then, that done and a bit more time on my hands I got myself into practice using Xsane for further negative and slide scanning as well as flatbed work and find it is very much in line with my needs. So possibly I may no further need of Windows :happy:

Still its enticing to get a Windows installation running via an emulator... as I already do an Amiga

Peter

Return to “Software / Configuration”