Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

PINTA - "ellipse select" tool [Solved]

REJ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

PINTA - "ellipse select" tool [Solved]

#1 Postby REJ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 pm

I am trying to use a feature in Pinta and have had no success in using it or getting any helpful information about it via general googling, Pinta Project itself (I created an account with Pinta and asked the question twice, differently, with no response to date and it does not look like too many questions do get answers there) and Youtube video which did have one with the exact instructions that appear when you hover over the feature with your mouse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMLaGFB3DsA) . Under "tools" there is an "ellipse select " icon and one of the same type "rectangle select", with a dashed enclosure around it that goes dark when you use it. The rectangle works exactly and flawlessly as expected (dragging icon to image and expanding) however, the ellipse crops to a rectangle no matter which option you select in "image" - "crop to selection" or "autocrop". Neither seem to work... I'm wondering if it is just my computers (7 of them whether using windows or linux) or if anyone else has some insight into this. Is this just a non-functional feature?
Last edited by REJ on Mon May 22, 2017 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: PINTA - "ellipse select" tool

#2 Postby dolphin_oracle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 pm

actually, I think you'll find that "crop" is to a grid no matter what select tool you use. think of crop as creating a new frame, in this case the outer most limits of the ellipse.

here are some screen shots of the ellipse select tool in action. I have cut and pasted the selected area in the photo (which is a screen shot of thunar).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

REJ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby REJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks so much for your reply Dolphin - I am not sure I am using too many words to describe something simple. In the video is what I am attempting to do, but maybe I misunderstand. It just looks so simple and the same rectangle tool crops out the outer part like I want, and only the inside selection remains, but ellipse does not seem to do that or what the video appears to convey. I was not able to successfully include 2 screenshots from the video (saved, but could not attach - very new at this)..

Thank you again!

REJ
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby REJ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 am

I figured out how to do this - turns out the video left out an important step or two that was necessary for the ellipse tool only and not the rectangle tool. I looked at Gimp instructions and followed them, because they are pretty much the same. You cannot, as far as I can understand, isolate the center ellipse picture from the leftover rectangular or square frame background, however, with Gimp, can make it transparent.
Thanks again for your help. Looks like I was trying to do the impossible - with these particular apps anyway.

Return to “Software / Configuration”