-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Restore Grub to M8 partition? [Solved]

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Restore Grub to M8 partition? [Solved]

#1 Post by TenderFoot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Currently having the joys of reconstructing the multiboot installs on a rather lowly PC sporting a wretched matx Foxconn mobo (marked for relacement in the near future!) on which neither Wins nor Linuxs is truly happy though M8 makes a good fist of it (including a stable display on the SIS grahics)!

An attempt at installing an universal usb driver to Win98 resulted in chaos. Without boring gurus with details, I (re)installed M8 allowing Grub to be installed to mbr in attempt to regain access to Win which in itself was successful but still ended up having to reinstall win98 and XP (don't ask why!) but, of course, Grub has gone so can't access Linuxs.

Anyway, is there any way of getting Grub installed into the Mepis partition where it will accessible via another mechanism without having to reinstall Mepis (BootMagic or later EasyBcd)?

I've researched this problem in the past but always seem to end up with Ubuntu rescue being suggested but that still assumes the mbr.

[Not part of the discussion but to pre-empt criticism, this model works for me because various Linux distros are usually tried whilst others may become fixtures (until forced to upgrade!) but, because of these constant changes, allowing Grub into the mbr as things change is fraught with potential complications - like this!]
Last edited by TenderFoot on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Restore Grub to M8 pasrtition?

#2 Post by megatotoro » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi,

Have you tried the MEPIS Assistant from your M8 Live CD?

Well, first you might want to back up your menu.lst file (in case you need the entries later).

First, boot your M8 Live CD and go to your MEPIS 8 partition using Konqueror. There, you will see a folder called "Boot".

Inside that folder, there's one called "Grub" and inside that one, you will find a file called "menu.lst". Copy it and save it somewhere in case you need it later. You can close Konqueror now.

Now, using the MEPIS button on the taskbar to access the menus, go to:

System/MEPIS Settings/MEPIS System assistant,

Type "root" to have access to the assistant and choose the tab "Repair System Boot". Install GRUB on MBR; choose your hard drive as your system boot disk and your MEPIS 8 partition as the /root partition.

Click on OK and that will reinstall GRUB and you should have access to MEPIS then.

Hope it works...

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by lucky9 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:16 am

As megatotoro says you can use the Mepis LiveDisk to reinstall GRUB. Just choose to put it in the /root choice.
Then you have the job of finding something to boot from the MBR. Whatever you choose should find Mepis, Win, and whatever else is on the disk.

But by far it's easier to use GRUB. If Windows is not on the first partition then you'll need to map the drives. This will fool Windows into thinking it's the first OS on the HDD.
See Windows booting issues for how: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... oot_System
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by uncle mark » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 am

TenderFoot wrote:Anyway, is there any way of getting Grub installed into the Mepis partition where it will accessible via another mechanism without having to reinstall Mepis (BootMagic or later EasyBcd)?
It already is. The code that's written to the MBR is just a "pointer". If you are able to "point" to your M8 in some other fashion, then you're good.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by TenderFoot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Have tried unclemark's solution before (to recover other distros) without success. In this case tried various combinations of options in EasyBcd but each resulted in simply reaching a cli grub> prompt - except when allowed to install its own grub which actually only copied (or redirected to) M11 grub menu and looked promising initially but froze.

So went with the megatotoro/lucky9 suggestion but installed grub to M8 partition (which is what was wanted) - but found myself in a previously installed version of M8 - which would have been fine except that Synaptic wouldn't launch so gave up and went with what I was trying to avoid (because of previous thread) and so am doing a fresh install! But at least it's nice know that there are strategies to rescue Mepis...

Perhaps all this is a consequence of trying to reconfigure two machines side by side using a shared monitor (one on vga and the other dvi) with identical keyboards/mice!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:45 am

Since a KVM will cause problems more often than not, it'd be a good bet that sharing a monitor might. You should physically disconnect the monitor from the machine you're not using. Reboot. Do the same when using the other machine.

There is no reason that GRUB should get confused about which partition the installation is on. So that's the most likely cause. (Always make sure that the System Assistant is pointed at the correct partition of course.) Check the wiki for some information on EasyBCD.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by TenderFoot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:13 pm

It was only a light-hearted comment suggesting senior confusion induced by trying to implement (only) two major reconfigures simulataniously! Switching between the two is a lot more convenient via the monitor remote than constantly grovelling around in a confined space plugging/unplugging cables....

Using M8 from the flash drive proved a perfect solution for reinstalling grub to the M8 partition - which was the goal. I wonder if it would work if I needed to recover a different distro though also suspect that, if it could, it would only do so for ditros that use grub rather than grub2?

As for EasyBcd, I am reasonably familiar with its use and simply tried some of its other options in an attempt to achieve the desired recovery.

In the meantime the thread has been marked as "solved"

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Restore Grub to M8 pasrtition? [Solved]

#8 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm

If GRUB doesn't pick up an OS you can edit to use Chainloading to get that OS to boot. See here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... nload_GRUB
--Mark Twain

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by Gaer Boy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 am

I've made a mess of my MBR & Grub on more than one occasion. I no longer worry - I keep a CD of SuperGrub2 which will boot anything on the machine. When I was having booting difficulties with the early versions of M12, I left it in the drive and used it all the time. I also have Rescatux, from the same stable, which will also write a new grub and has SuperGrub inculded. I recommend both.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by TenderFoot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 am

Chainloading is the usual scenario for me, albeit (Easy)Bcd to Win 98/XP/Vista/7 or to grub in respective linux partitions.

If we're into swapping idiosyncratic experiences, I recently had an odd situation. Mint 8 (which I keep as a good implementation of Gnome and still has limited karmic repo support) was installed several times but, as was often the case with it, nothing would persuade it to properly place grub in the partition and therefore accessible. I was astonished a few days later when, after installing Suse, the Mint grub appeared in the mbr, chainloading the Suse grub which also gives access to Mint 8! The mbt grub has since been replaced by bcd so that Mint 8 continues to be accessible via Suse and, for the moment will stick at that (even if not impressed by Suse)...

Anyway, I'll download SuperGrub and Rescatux for possible (probable) future needs!

Return to “Hardware / Configuration”