-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Install on a computer w/o a dvd drive

bmike1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Install on a computer w/o a dvd drive

#1 Post by bmike1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:31 pm

I think I want to put Mepis on my desktop puter. It does not have a DVD drive in it though. Can I connect the laptop to the desktop and use the laptop as an external drive?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Install on a computer w/o a dvd drive

#2 Post by joany » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Does the BIOS of your desktop support booting from a USB thumb drive? If it does, you could create a bootable MEPIS thumb drive on your laptop and boot your desktop and install MEPIS from the thumb drive.

If that isn't possible, I doubt if MEPIS can be installed successfully using the method you describe because your laptop and desktop have completely different hardware. If you run the Live DVD on the laptop, it will detect the laptop's hardware and will install itself accordingly. Some people have replaced a HDD on one machine with the HDD from another machine with MEPIS installed on it; but for that to work, the two machines should be fairly similar, which yours are not.

I've heard of booting one Apple computer from another, but never one PC from another. But I could be mistaken.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm

bmike1 wrote:I think I want to put Mepis on my desktop puter. It does not have a DVD drive in it though. Can I connect the laptop to the desktop and use the laptop as an external drive?
No.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm

If the memory key is not bootable on your Desktop does it have a CD? There are some boot CD-ROMs available that would be able to boot a LiveDVD that's copied to a memory key.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

lucky9 wrote:If the memory key is not bootable on your Desktop does it have a CD? There are some boot CD-ROMs available that would be able to boot a LiveDVD that's copied to a memory key.
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by JBoman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm

bmike1 wrote:I think I want to put Mepis on my desktop puter. It does not have a DVD drive in it though. Can I connect the laptop to the desktop and use the laptop as an external drive?
If you are comfortable with the command line see here> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ :popcorn:
***you can also do it with Clonezilla by connecting NIC to NIC (Network Interface Card). Videos are available on youtube for doing it with Clonezilla.
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-17.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by joany » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 am

@uncle mark

That's really cool!
JBoman wrote:
If you are comfortable with the command line see here> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ :popcorn:
***you can also do it with Clonezilla by connecting NIC to NIC (Network Interface Card). Videos are available on youtube for doing it with Clonezilla.
Cloning an installation from one computer to another is fraught with problems (unless the computers themselves are nearly clones).
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by JBoman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 am

joany wrote:@uncle mark

That's really cool!
JBoman wrote:
Cloning an installation from one computer to another is fraught with problems (unless the computers themselves are nearly clones).
Agree wholeheartedly but it is doable :cool:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-17.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

joany wrote:@uncle mark

That's really cool!
I've not explored all its options, but it works splendidly for booting to USB if that's not natively supported by your machine.

fbt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by fbt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 am

Of course for a round $20 you can by a DVD writer. They are pretty handy to have around.

Return to “Hardware / Configuration”