-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Install on a computer w/o a dvd drive

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Install on a computer w/o a dvd drive

#11 Post by uncle mark » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:57 am

fbt wrote:Of course for a round $20 you can by a DVD writer. They are pretty handy to have around.
<snicker>

In my case, my old Vaio laptop with a CD-RW/DVD-ROM wouldn't boot the M11 DVD for nuthin'. The PLoP boot disk allowed me to boot to USB, which worked flawlessly. <shrug> IIRC, Peregrine had a similar machine and found herself in the same situation.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by JimC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

bmike1 wrote:I think I want to put Mepis on my desktop puter. It does not have a DVD drive in it though. Can I connect the laptop to the desktop and use the laptop as an external drive?
Hey Mike:

What type of PC is it (the more info the better)?

As others have implied, one popular way to install distros on computers without a DVD drive is by using a USB Flash drive with the live distro you want to install on it.

Your PC would need the ability to boot from a USB attached drive.

That USB attached drive could be a USB Flash Drive (very inexpensive now, especially in smaller 4GB or 8GB sizes), or it could even be a USB attached card reader with a memory card in it (SDHC Card, CompactFlash Card, etc.).

One program that can do that for you (create a bootable USB flash drive that allows you to load the Live DVD versions of Mepis) is Unetbootin. You'll find both Windows and Linux versions of it. See here for more info (and you'll find download links at the top of the page).

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Don't worry if the version of Mepis you want to install isn't in the drop down list, as you can point it at a downloaded .iso file. I've used it in the past to burn Mepis 11 to a USB flash drive and it worked just fine (just format the drive as FAT32 first), allowing me to boot into a Live session of Mepis 11, where I could just use the install choice to install it to the computer's hard drive.

I use unetbootin to install distros to my wife's laptop (which has a CD drive but no DVD Drive), and to a couple of netbooks I have (which do not have any optical drives), since using a USB Flash Drive makes that very easy (and also saves DVDs).

The catch is that your computer will need to support booting from a USB drive (and most modern computers do allow that if you either press the function key it may have to select a boot device when starting it, or go into your computer's BIOS setup and make sure USB is the first option in the Boot Order list you'll find).

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 pm

UNetBooten is a good choice.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by joany » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 am

Let me weigh in here ...

If your desktop can boot from a USB flash drive, then by all means go the UNetBootin route. You can install it in Windows, and I found the Linux universal version also works well: http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/ The Linux version needs you to install the 7Pzip-full package in order to run.

If your desktop does not boot from a USB, but it can boot from a CD drive, then you can make a bootable CD using the Plop Boot Manager, which will chain load into a bootable USB flash drive even if the BIOS doesn't natively support that feature. I found booting into the USB from the Plop CD is a bit tricky and temperamental, but you should eventually get it to work. Just be sure to read over the documentation carefully.

If your desktop can't boot from a CD drive, then I believe Plop will make a bootable floppy diskette that does the same thing as the bootable CD.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

bmike1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by bmike1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:43 am

thanks for the responses guys.... sorry I dropped the ball. I forgot to check the 'notification box. in any case time has gone by and there is now AntiX-MX. I am downloading that now. I am going to use it with XBMC. If you have any advice concerning that or are interested in a tv server (that is what I am going to use it as) please see my other thread:
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 91&t=36136
THe computer this thread was originally started about is an IBM NetVista and the computer I am concerning myself over now is a Sony VAIO (both from around 2001). The final solution to the problem with the Net Vist was putting Mint12 on it but the developers of Mint are no longer supporting older hardware. :bagoverhead:

Return to “Hardware / Configuration”