Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Artix linux

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Artix linux

#11 Postby Jerry3904 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Welcome--we're glad you're here!
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Postby asqwerth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:55 am

kernelkurtz wrote:polaca57 and I were some of the last holdouts with Manjaro OpenRC on their forums. I never did make the jump to Artix, but came here instead.

Right now I'm typing this from inside my own customized MX spin, running live, that I created with your snapshot tool in about twenty minutes this morning. I am so happy and so impressed with this community and what you've accomplished--what your work let me accomplish, today.

Thank you.

kK

Welcome, kernelkurtz and polaca57.

I use both Manjaro XFCE and MX (and eugen-b is here as well), so I did read the threads on the discontinuance of Manjaro Openrc. I am sympathetic to you but also can understand why Manjaro openrc had to move to artix.

On the other hand, MX Linux really is so much more than normal Debian, software is generally fresher, forum is great, you get sysvinit instead of systemd, and it's very nimble, in my opinion.

And, this forum has been around for AGES. There is a certain stability in that, and in knowing the Dev team coders and packagers here really know their stuff.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

FungalNet
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Postby FungalNet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am

Howdy anti-systemd partners.
I have been using devuan for a long while in various forms. I still haven't been able to try antix but it has been a while and can't remember why I gave up. Maybe it is my wifi only connection and couldn't get online or install the proper firmware. This is why I subscribed to the forum so I can give antix and mx a try.

I have also run Manjaro-OpenRC for a while and I was really sad to see it go, but that opened up the horizon for Artix, which is much better than Manjaro in efficiency and design. Manjaro had too much patch-work done to make it a fancy version of Arch. Their graphical installer (calamares) worked great in all boxes I tried. Almost as much fun as refracta is.

The problem I had with Manjaro was that for a long time through publicity they were portraying it as a Distro which allowed many types of init systems. The truth is that only Artoo alone was making a fork/project work with OpenRC. Then within a month of the introduction of Artix without noticed they cleared their repositories of anything related to OpenRC and eudev. There has never been a statement that Manjaro is a systemd only init based system. Someone can say the same for Arch, but at least their repositories have all init systems available that someone knowledgeable enough can make the replacement.

I don't see any competitiveness and need for among the systemd-free projects. From the one side antix/mx/devuan/refracta based on Debian, and the side of Arch there is obarun, artix, ... & ... (I forget) ... arch-bang switched to being Artix-based, there is a future for all. The more people realize what and how systemd works the more will be trying to escape. The contradiction of using linux and using it with systemd will eventually tip the scale.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby Jerry3904 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am

there is a future for all
That is certainly also the opinion of the MX Linux Dev Team--welcome to the Forum and thanks for the post.
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “General”