-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Sophos Antivirus for Linux

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Sophos Antivirus for Linux

#1 Post by duane » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:25 pm

There has been a discussion about removing viruses from windows machines and quite a few people were following that discussion.

Has anybody tired this antivirus for Linux?

I see mention of it once in awhile.

If Linux becomes more popular I wonder if we might want to try something like this.

I have no worries in particular right now but with social engineering playing a role in getting infected I sometimes start to wonder.

Your thoughts please.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Richard

Re: Sophos Antivirus for Linux

#2 Post by Richard » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:52 pm

The idea is that if you send/receive files to/from Windows computers,
you might avoid propagating viruses to your friends or co-workers.
That is my understanding of anti-virus for Linux.

For Linux there are chkrootkit, rootkit-hunter, etc.
Rootkits are particularly nasty in Linux, read here for more:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154709/171/
MX171: Lenovo T430-2017: i5-3320M, 8 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-amd64, intel_pstate, 119 GB SSD
MX171: AA1(ZG5)/EeePC-1005HA: DualCoreN270, 1 GBRAM, 4.15.0-1-686-pae, 150 GB HDD
DC9, LibO610, Dbox, PM, FF, mPDFed, CherryT, Vbox. ____ Linux Counter #288562

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by uncle mark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Richard wrote:The idea is that if you send/receive files to/from Windows computers,
you might avoid propagating viruses to your friends or co-workers.
That is my understanding of anti-virus for Linux.

Agreed.
For Linux there are chkrootkit, rootkit-hunter, etc.
Rootkits are particularly nasty in Linux, read here for more:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/154709/171/
There's really no such thing as "Linux viruses" in the wild in the conventional sense. There are several reasons:

The small user base (on the desktop) makes it an unattractive target. Not worth their while.

Linux users are smarter. They don't blindly click OK on anything that pops up. That will change if/when the user base expands.

The Linux ecosystem of trusted sources/repositories. You don't have to got "out there" and install packages from who-knows-where. (Which is one reason I find the proliferation of PPAs so troubling.)

The potential for trouble is here already. Anymore, if you wish, you can now download a .deb file from who-knows-where, double click it, and gdebi will take it from there, exactly how it's done in Windows.

And just an added note, at the risk of being pedantic... there isn't nearly the problem of virus infections in Windows as there once was. Viruses are a specific form of malicious software that most any decent resident running anti-virus program will stop. What brings most computers to their knees nowadays is the broader, less destructive, but no less problematic "malware" -- i.e. toolbars and BHOs and search "tools" and all that crap -- that isn't considered truly damaging and goes undetected by many/most standard anti-virus programs. Cleaning up after that garbage is where I make my money, and it's just as big a PITA as is cleaning up a virally infected machine.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by KernSpy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:46 am

So much (windows) software comes bundled with trash and adware, it is totally
disgusting. They get it all when they click Next, Next, Next and so on. They keep
on doing it until they end up with a hijacked browser, hijacked search, free malware
scanner (BHO), a free ass-toolbar and all kinds of goodies.

There is a guy on youtube who did a video of scanning (some distro?) Linux and
finding a virus. He is one of those guys who is always reviewing various distros.

I've tried AVast (Linux - MX 14-2) on my Lenovo and it scanned fairly good in my
Home directory. I tried it on the file system as root and it couldn't scan a lot of stuff.
I think getting a firewall configured properly and running is important as anything.

Good Read .. Richard
Thanks for the post / link.

First time I've read anything about SELinux.
Acer Aspire M3800, Intel Pentium dual-core E6600, Intel 4 Series Graphics, Intel Audio, 4 GB Ram, XFCE 4, MX15 Fusion. Lenovo G560 Laptop - 4G Ram, Dual-Pentium, MX15 Fusion.

Eino
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by Eino » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:39 am

The best prevention is not to login as root, and go online. I always keep my router software up to date and use a firewall. The only online activity as root should be updates. What I like about Linux is follow the simple steps, and you should not have to worry about a root kits, or other attacks from an intruder.
You never really die. Your spirit, your music, and your wisdom carryover for generations to come, we are spiritual beings on a human journey.
Visit me at https://soundcloud.com/eino1953

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by duane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Excellent link.

Thanks. I agree and always try to get software from a trusted repository unless there is now other way to get it.

I have downloaded Open Office online before because on one machine I use it instead of Libre Office.

Duane
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Tzerano
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by Tzerano » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:48 am

All say that the main reason you don`t need an antivirus as I know is that Linux doesn`t have viruses but if you`ll work on t for a long time you`ll realize that it`s not this way.As for me you can use ClamAV )) Nice antivirus as for me. To install you can just write in your console: sudo apt-get install clamtk

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by joany » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:49 pm

uncle mark wrote: There's really no such thing as "Linux viruses" in the wild in the conventional sense.
Agreed.

Windows 10 itself is a virus. The "default" setting turns your computer into a zombie that feeds other users "upgrades" without your permission.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

jimallyn
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by jimallyn » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 am

I'm on the Mint forums a lot, and somebody posts about once a week that they found a virus on their computer. In every case I have seen, this has been a false positive. The advice of the gurus on the Mint forums is: don't run a virus scan on your Linux computer.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by eugen-b » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:03 am

I think the best way is to run a virus scan from a live CD.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

Return to “General”