-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Apple Having its Microsoft Moment

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Apple Having its Microsoft Moment

#1 Post by joany » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:26 pm

I came across this article in CNN Money: http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/05/technol ... tml?iid=EL

The article points out that Macintosh computers are becoming nearly as vulnerable to cyber attacks as computers running Windows were ten years ago. The article lists some very nasty malware that is spreading through Macs. My understanding is that OS X runs on a Darwin kernel, which is closely related to Linux. This has me a bit concerned because both Darwin and Linux are open source and if Darwin is vulnerable, so is Linux.

I peruse the Mac forums once in a while, and I've noticed that whenever someone posts a concern about being infected with a virus, they were always told, "There are no Mac viruses." In the past, this may have been technically correct because malware that infected Macs didn't spread from machine to machine like a Windows virus. It had to hide inside a Trojan horse and be installed by the user. But based on the CNN Money article, that seems to have changed.

Cyber-criminals pretty much own every machine running Windows. It seems they are now turning Macs into zombies also, and I'm afraid it's only a matter of time until they focus their attention to our computers running on Linux. (In some respects, they already have: server attacks are becoming fairly common, and the vast majority of servers run on Unix or Linux.)
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Apple Having its Microsoft Moment

#2 Post by Gaer Boy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:06 pm

I didn't see anything in the article which implicated the kernel as such. The burden of complaint against Apple was its slowness and secrecy about patching security holes. I don't see that with Debian/MX. It didn't seem a particularly well-researched article to me.

[edit] Many security problems are with the user. I've been running WinXP in various forms since it was first introduced and never had a virus or any other malware. I used a software firewall while I had a basic dialup modem and I've always run a free virus checker. Full scans have not shown any suspicious items.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-16
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-16.1

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:12 pm

I noted that the link to the first bug kept referring to a BIOS on Macs instead of UEFI, which is orders of magnitude more complex than the old BIOS, basically an OS in itself. It's not surprising that more bugs will show up there. Plus obviously that's not related to any kernel code.

But Apple's arrogant attitude may really come back to bite them, I can't argue with that.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by entropyfoe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:18 pm

I think a lot of the attacks/vulnerabilities are not the OS, but rather insecure plug-ins or applications.

Flash, Java are cross platform, and can be exploited no matter what the OS.

But with a good OS, the damage is limited, unlike Windows where many people run as administrator all the time.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by lucky9 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:02 pm

10? or so years ago I had a problem with java on Windows. My virus checker would find it but it wouldn't remove it. Took me a while to realize that simply removing it along with a Registry edit would fix it. Weird.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by uncle mark » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:02 pm

entropyfoe wrote:I think a lot of the attacks/vulnerabilities are not the OS, but rather insecure plug-ins or applications.

But with a good OS, the damage is limited, unlike Windows where many people run as administrator all the time.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

The article was lame. Lots of scary assertions but no real meat to back them up. Somebody had an assignment and a deadline.

Yes, you can get a bug in your browser or a script that could do some damage if you allow it , but nothing compares with the havoc that that is typically wreaked on an infected Windows machine. It's that simple. I make good money fixing them, and it's not something just anybody can do.

In the real world, the Windows ecosystem is a cesspool. The Apple and Linux environments don't begin to compare.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Old Giza
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by Old Giza » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:22 pm

My understanding is that OS X runs on a Darwin kernel, which is closely related to Linux. This has me a bit concerned because both Darwin and Linux are open source and if Darwin is vulnerable, so is Linux.
Darwin comes from the BSD world, so is not related to Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%2 ... ine.en.svg

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by arjaybe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 pm

uncle mark wrote:
entropyfoe wrote:I think a lot of the attacks/vulnerabilities are not the OS, but rather insecure plug-ins or applications.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

The article was lame. Lots of scary assertions but no real meat to back them up. Somebody had an assignment and a deadline.

Yes, you can get a bug in your browser or a script that could do some damage if you allow it , but nothing compares with the havoc that that is typically wreaked on an infected Windows machine. It's that simple. I make good money fixing them, and it's not something just anybody can do.

In the real world, the Windows ecosystem is a cesspool. The Apple and Linux environments don't begin to compare.
What? Are you saying CNN would run a poorly researched, alarmist story? C'mon!
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

Maybe he will grow into the job.

Green Comet

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:12 pm

arjaybe wrote:What? Are you saying CNN would run a poorly researched, alarmist story? C'mon!
Sorry. My inner curmudgeon got the best of me.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Betes
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by Betes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:53 am

I don't think Apple are as bad as Microsoft but attacks on Macs are definitely happening a lot more these days as more people are using them.

Return to “General”