-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Cooked minitube ..

Those new to MEPIS or not very experienced can post their questions here.
KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Cooked minitube ..

#1 Post by KernSpy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 am

Was thinking I should "fully uninstall" minitube (it wasn't working) and reinstall it. So (actually fully) I removed it and then downloaded and tried to install this 32bit Debian version - http://flavio.tordini.org/files/minitube/minitube.deb

I keep getting the message: Package: Minitube
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: phonon4qt5

sudo spt-get update
sudo apt-get install minitube.deb

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package minitube.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'minitube.deb'

I tried to go back into the community repos and get minitube, but the link is a 404.
http://teharris.net/mepiscr/testrepo/po ... 1_i386.deb

Attempted to install the downloaded minitube.deb by using

sudo gdebi ~/Desktop/minitube.deb

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done
Building data structures... Done
This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: phonon4qt5

Found some instructions for adding dependencies and installing
minitube.deb (noobslab)

sudo apt-get install libqt5widgets5 libqt5network5 libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5dbus5 phonon4qt5 libphonon4qt5-4 phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer

(Didn't work.)

(Quit: Didn't do this.)

wget -O minitube32.deb http://flavio.tordini.org/files/minitube/minitube.deb

sudo dpkg -i minitube32.deb

I've did: sudo apt-get install minitube, apt-get -f install minitube, sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo dpkg -i minitube.deb, autoclean, autoremove .. etc.

:bagoverhead:
MX-17.1_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio. Note: [System76] and the Galago's neutered UEFI

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Cooked minitube ..

#2 Post by kmathern » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 am

I think minitube was removed from the repos (http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... be#p361703) which would explain why you can't reinstall the package you uninstalled.

And the minitube .deb package from flavio.tordini.org has that phonon4qt5 dependency which also isn't in the repos.

Phonon4qt5 is included in the packages built from the Jessie version phonon source package, it's not included in the Wheezy version.

Stevo or Tim might be able to backport the Jessie phonon, but they would have to say for sure.

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by KernSpy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 am

OK, Thank You .. kmathern
MX-17.1_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio. Note: [System76] and the Galago's neutered UEFI

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by joany » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:33 pm

I mentioned the phonon4qt5 dependency for Minitube 2.5 in another thread. Here's the changlog I posted:
Upgraded to Qt 5
HiDPI (aka Retina Display) support
Mac style overhaul: new toolbar, lighter fonts & tabs
Reworked icons on Mac & Windows
Status Bar hidden when not needed: less clutter, more room for videos
Clickable links in video description
Autoadjust window size (Bye, useless black bars!)
Smart date formatting: 3 hours ago, 1 month ago, etc.
When opening the YouTube webpage the video now starts from where it left in Minitube
Fixed videos restarting after long pause
Dropped support for OS X 10.6
New and updated translations.

It seems that future versions of Minitube will all be based on QT5. Maybe the next Jesse-based MX-15 will include the phonon4qt5 package in the repositories. In the meantime, perhaps the Jesse or Sid version could be backported to Wheezy?

Fortunately, Minitube 2.4 still works with YouTube and that version does not have this dependency.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by kmathern » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:50 pm

joany wrote:It seems that future versions of Minitube will all be based on QT5. Maybe the next Jesse-based MX-15 will include the phonon4qt5 package in the repositories.
Qt5 packages are available from the wheezy-backports repo, but the Jessie version phonon source package hasn't been backported.

With MX-15 the phonon4qt5 package will be available/installable from the Debian Jessie repos.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:25 pm

I've backported Jessie's phonon 4.8.0 and phonon-backend-* packages, and they did work in my tests with the new Minitube after a reboot, but I'm inclined to put those in the experimental repository, so we don't risk building and depending on the new version by mistake. We don't really want to have an upgrade for everyone when only one third-party program requires it.

One address for the experimental repo is

Code: Select all

deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/experimental/ experimental test
but I forget what the European mirror's address is.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by kmathern » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Stevo wrote:I've backported Jessie's phonon 4.8.0 and phonon-backend-* packages, and they did work in my tests with the new Minitube after a reboot, but I'm inclined to put those in the experimental repository, so we don't risk building and depending on the new version by mistake. We don't really want to have an upgrade for everyone when only one third-party program requires it.

One address for the experimental repo is

deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/experimental/ experimental test
but I forget what the European mirror's address is.
I think this is it

deb http://nl.mxrepo.com/mepiscr/experimental/ experimental test

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Or there is an alternative to Minitube in the test repos called SMTube...

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by joany » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Smtube is similar to Minitube, with one important difference. With Minitube, you can copy the URL of the YouTube video and paste it into a download manager like Fatrat. There, you can download the video and save it for later viewing. Smtube does not have that feature, so if it wouldn't be too much trouble, including the phonon4qt5 package in the "experimental" repo would be a good idea. Minitube will be sticking with QT5 and those who don't upgrade to Jessie right away and want to keep Minitube current will need that package.

EDIT:
Another difference I forgot to mention. From what I've seen, the development and support of Smtube is essentially a one-man show, with support and development seeming somewhat sporadic. Minitube appears to be more of a "professional-grade" product, although perceptions can be deceiving.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Stevo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:28 pm

I installed uget, and when I use that as the "player" in SMTube, it downloads the video. Quite easy. Minitube also seems to be a one-man show to me, but that's not really an indication of quality--I know the SMTube developer does accept outside code contributions.

Return to “Newbies”