-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Trying to add PPA .. Failed with warning message

Those new to MEPIS or not very experienced can post their questions here.
KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Trying to add PPA .. Failed with warning message

#1 Post by KernSpy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Yesterday .. got / did: 277 updates. (Then a few others)

I got this error:

A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://antix.daveserver.info stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1426281549 KEYEXPIRED 1426281549 KEYEXPIRED 1426281549

Thanks to the forum, I got that fixed and now it seems to work ok.
sudo apt-get update .. Works.

Then, I tried to add PPA for weather monitor ...
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao

You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
Applications from atareao
More info: https://launchpad.net/~atareao/+archive/ubuntu/atareao
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

Pressed: ENTER

WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 160, in <module>
sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 96, in __init__
self.reload_sourceslist()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 584, in reload_sourceslist
self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 87, in get_sources
raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template

Tried a couple other PPAs and keep getting the same errors.

Hmmm .. What has happened to my .. /etc/apt/sources.list?

file /etc/apt/sources.list

/etc/apt/sources.lis: cannot open `/etc/apt/sources.lis' (No such file or directory)

cat: /etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory

Synaptic Package Manager .. Wants (Keyring) root password to run.
Not user - sudo password. Is that normal? Why do I need this keyring
and a second password?

Anyway .. My setup ..

Linux version 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org)
(gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3~bpo70+1
(2015-08-08)

DISTRIB_ID=MX
DISTRIB_RELEASE=MX-14
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Symbiosis
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="MX-14"
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=debian

Processor: 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
Memory: 3621MB (797MB used)
Operating System: MX-14
User Name: kernspy
Acer Aspire M3800, Intel Pentium dual-core E6600, Intel 4 Series Graphics, Intel Audio, 4 GB Ram, XFCE 4, MX15 Fusion. Lenovo G560 Laptop - 4G Ram, Dual-Pentium, MX15 Fusion.

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Trying to add PPA .. Failed with warning message

#2 Post by rokytnji.1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:04 am

Not a real good idea adding ubuntu ppa's to Debain and Mepis. They are not Ubuntu.
But it is your computer.
So if you wreck your install.
Just remember, somebody warned against this.

Also wondering why xfce-weather-plugin and others
And five weather applets to choose from –
from https://technophobeconfessions.wordpress.com/tag/mx-14/

in xfce taskbar does not suffice for you or a custom conky setup

http://conky.pitstop.free.fr/wiki/index ... =Main_Page

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by KernSpy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 am

Hello rokytnji.1

No, it probably isn't a good idea.

I had been using ClearWeather from Screenlets, but it stopped working. Still on my desktop.

I see from the (older) manual section that Sources.list is handled differently now. Like 4 files and so on.
I'm not sure if something is broken or not?

Anyway, conky is setup and running, (emays) but maybe I could add a 2nd conky and the weather app.

Thanks .. ttyl :)
Acer Aspire M3800, Intel Pentium dual-core E6600, Intel 4 Series Graphics, Intel Audio, 4 GB Ram, XFCE 4, MX15 Fusion. Lenovo G560 Laptop - 4G Ram, Dual-Pentium, MX15 Fusion.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by eugen-b » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 am

I added Noobslab PPA for Ubuntu with no issues, but I used it only to try different icon themes.
Anyway you need to add public keys for a repo manually like that:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/icons
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F59EAE4D
Sometimes it requires to export the key after that:

sudo gpg -a --export F59EAE4D | sudo apt-key add -
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by KernSpy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 am

Hello and Thank You! .. eugen-b

Well, I guess my system is ok after all. :)

I've changed the configuration of the screenlet clearweather quite a few times, but still
no go. I was using zip codes, but I read using World geo-codes would get
it working. I did that and it still doesn't work. It reports it can't connect to weather.com.
WOEID codes -- http://isithackday.com/geoplanet-explorer/index.php? Still it doesn't work.
Code for (east) St.John, NB, Canada is .. 1533. The code by weather.com is CAXX9925:1:CA.

eugen-b, can you send me the details on the ppa information you provided. Like the details you
provided, (source) so I can read about using them. The gpg, keyservers and all that. It may be
in the manual on the site here, I don't know.

Anyway, I have to be at work for 1:00 pm and I'm running late. I'll get back to you later on
and Thanks again!
Last edited by KernSpy on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by eugen-b » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 pm

KernSpy wrote:Hello and Thank You! .. eugen-b

Well, I guess my system is ok after all. :)

eugen-b, can you send me the details on the ppa information you provided. Like the details you
provided, (source) so I can read about using them. The gpg, keyservers and all that. It may be
in the manual on the site here, I don't know.

Anyway, I have to be at work for 1:00 pm and I'm running late. I'll get back to you later on
and Thanks again!
Well, I just got the commands from Crunchbang forum, I need to find it again.
But they work if you need to add a repository for which you don't have the public key on your system preinstalled or as a package like debian-archive-keyring.
A public key (actually a digest of it, a public key is much longer) is published on the website of a repository. You need it to verfy that a package you (actually your apt-get) download is from this repo and not from a malicious source. After you added a repo you copy the public key from its webpage and issue the command I wrote above. This commands ask a keyserver (you can use other keyservers like pgp.mit.edu) to send you the public key matching the digest you pasted.
The last command afaik signs the key with your private key so your system knows it is trustworthy.
For background info, look for GPG in Arch, Debian or other Wiki of your choice. It actually is a complicated matter. I didn't unsderstand it for quite a long time when I started reading about cryprography.
And I actually don't know whether you need it at this point. Maybe I didn't read your post carefully enough. :lipsrsealed:
Kind Regards
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by kmathern » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:23 pm

The checkaptgpg command/script will fix most GPG NO_PUBKEY errors, as long as the key has been uploaded to one or more of the keyservers.

For example the missing key for that ppa repo:

sudo apt-get update ...

Fetched 206 kB in 19s (10.7 kB/s)                                                                                                                                             
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 6A9653F936FD5529

$ sudo checkaptgpg

Checking main.mepis-deb.org_mepiscr_repo_dists_mepis12cr_Release
    Good GPG signature found.

Checking www.duinsoft.nl_pkg_dists_debs_Release

Checking main.mepis-deb.org_mepiscr_testrepo_dists_mepis12cr_Release

Checking download.virtualbox.org_virtualbox_debian_dists_wheezy_Release

Checking main.mepis-deb.org_mepiscr_xfce_dists_xfce-4.10_Release

Checking www.deb-multimedia.org_dists_wheezy_Release

Checking dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_Release

Checking ppa.launchpad.net_atareao_atareao_ubuntu_dists_trusty_Release
gpg: requesting key 36FD5529 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 36FD5529: public key "Launchpad PPA for atareao" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)

Checking main.mepis-deb.org_mepiscr_mx-test_dists_mx-14_Release

Checking security.debian.org_dists_wheezy_updates_Release

Checking www.bchemnet.com_suldr_dists_debian_Release

Checking packages.siduction.org_fixes_dists_unstable_Release

Checking httpredir.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy-backports_Release

Checking httpredir.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_Release

Checking antix.daveserver.info_stable_dists_stable_Release

Checking mozilla.debian.net_dists_wheezy-backports_Release

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Synaptic Package Manager .. Wants (Keyring) root password to run.
Not user - sudo password. Is that normal? Why do I need this keyring
and a second password?
Yeah, MX stays much closer to the Debian way of doing things, with an actual root account, than Ubuntu. It's normal.

You takes your chances with a PPA--some may work and some may not.

Adding Ubuntu or upstream Debian repositories in a misguided attempt to get a PPA package to work is almost guaranteed to break your system--maybe not immediately, but often it will be "poisoned" and then start dying in mysterious ways.

Check out our community repositories for the right way to add new or upgraded packages. We have conky-manager and conky-manager2 which have access to many customized conky setups.

I'll see if we can port over that PPA package.

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by KernSpy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:22 pm

eugen-b wrote:
Well, I just got the commands from Crunchbang forum, I need to find it again.
But they work if you need to add a repository for which you don't have the public key on your system preinstalled or as a package like debian-archive-keyring.
A public key (actually a digest of it, a public key is much longer) is published on the website of a repository. You need it to verfy that a package you (actually your apt-get) download is from this repo and not from a malicious source. After you added a repo you copy the public key from its webpage and issue the command I wrote above. This commands ask a keyserver (you can use other keyservers like pgp.mit.edu) to send you the public key matching the digest you pasted.
The last command afaik signs the key with your private key so your system knows it is trustworthy.
For background info, look for GPG in Arch, Debian or other Wiki of your choice. It actually is a complicated matter. I didn't unsderstand it for quite a long time when I started reading about cryprography.
And I actually don't know whether you need it at this point. Maybe I didn't read your post carefully enough. :lipsrsealed:
Kind Regards

Thanks for info and source. Guess I should bone up on all the gpg, keys, security / cryprography stuff.
I'll check out the wiki sites and read up on it all. Appreciate it eugen-b .. Thanks again. :)

Take care and best wishes!

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by KernSpy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Stevo wrote:
Yeah, MX stays much closer to the Debian way of doing things, with an actual root account, than Ubuntu. It's normal.

You takes your chances with a PPA--some may work and some may not.

Adding Ubuntu or upstream Debian repositories in a misguided attempt to get a PPA package to work is almost guaranteed to break your system--maybe not immediately, but often it will be "poisoned" and then start dying in mysterious ways.

Check out our community repositories for the right way to add new or upgraded packages. We have conky-manager and conky-manager2 which have access to many customized conky setups.

I'll see if we can port over that PPA package.
OK Good .. Glad my system isn't messed up!

:eek: OK, well I don't need that. My MX-14 is working really good and hopefully I can keep it that way.

Yes I will check out the community repos for the right way add packages. I think I have conky 1 running right now and (emays?) it looks really good on my desktop. I got a couple things I want to do and after that, I might
add conky manager2 and mess with that.

(porting over that ppa) That would be great Stevo .. Thank You!

A friend of mine lost his XP os due to a serious virus. He doesn't have an XP disk, so he has Linux installed now. His HP laptop starts up and gets a black screen. He restarts and Linux loads fine the second time (boot) around. This happens every time he starts up his computer. Think I'll see if he will let me clean it off and install MX-14 on it. Right now he is running Linux Lite 2.6.

Thanks .. ttyl :)

Return to “Newbies”