Important alerts ... email distribution

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
ludolph

Important alerts ... email distribution

#1 Post by ludolph »

Could be possible to spread the extremely important messages like this: "Important Alert
Do not upgrade your MX 17 or MX18 system installed or live until further notice. A problem with a kernel upgrade has occurred. A fix will be posted when available."
to all MX Forum users via email?

I just broke my system by the above mentioned kernel upgrade, just because I did not read this message on MX Forum.

Thanks in advance...!!!

BitJam
Developer

Re: Important alerts ... email distribution

#2 Post by BitJam »

ludolph wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 amI just broke my system by the above mentioned kernel upgrade, just because I did not read this message on MX Forum.
Is your system live or installed? IIUC the installed system is easy to fix.

As far as the email list, I really don't know. I agree with you it would be nice if we could push out dire warnings.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

ludolph

#3 Post by ludolph »

BitJam wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 am
ludolph wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 amI just broke my system by the above mentioned kernel upgrade, just because I did not read this message on MX Forum.
Is your system live or installed? IIUC the installed system is easy to fix.
My system (actually 5 systems!!!) is installed... please let me know about "easy fix".

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

If people don't read the Important Alert that's at the top of every forum page in bright red letters what makes you think that they'll read their email messages?

(I'm starting to sound like RichB and Jerry! :p )
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

ludolph

#5 Post by ludolph »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:16 am If people don't read the Important Alert at the top of every forum page in bright red letters what makes you think that they'll read their email messages?
So, you propose read the MX Forum before all upgrades ... really??!!

I do not read MX Forum every day ... but I read all the emails I get!!! :bawling:
Last edited by ludolph on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

The fix partly depends on your symptoms. If you get to a black screen when you boot then use <Alt><F2> to get to a console login screen. Then run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/share/mx-packageinstaller-pkglist/rebuild_dkms_packages.sh
sudo reboot
This solution was posted in this thread: RECENT KERNEL UPGRADE BROKE NVIDIA GRAPHICS -- SOLUTION
The first post shows how to fix Nvidia graphics. The post by kmathern shows how to fix all modules that may have been broken.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

i would run kmathern's. May as well fix everything at once rather than piecemeal.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

ludolph wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:19 am
JayM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:16 am If people don't read the Important Alert at the top of every forum page in bright red letters what makes you think that they'll read their email messages?
I do not read MX Forum every day ... but I read all the emails I get!!! :bawling:
I'm just the opposite. I visit the forum every day and only check my email when I happen to remember, usually once or twice a week,

One thing I've learned to do is to keep a USB stick set aside that has a recent personal snapshot of my MX system burned to it, so if something happens it's just a minor annoyance causing me to spend a few minutes reinstalling rather than being a major disaster causing me hours of work, reinstalling from scratch then reconfiguring everything the same way I had it.

Pierre

#9 Post by Pierre »

it seems that I'm inclined to agree with JayM on this one:
- - that's what the Forum is used for - - communicate with MX users.

you may find about any issues, on other media, but the Forum should be the 1st choice.
:number1:

AK-47
Developer

#10 Post by AK-47 »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:25 am i would run kmathern's. May as well fix everything at once rather than piecemeal.
The /usr/share/mx-packageinstaller-pkglist/rebuild_dkms_packages.sh script actually does everything kmathern's fix does, and also writes its activity to a log file.
Here's what it looks like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

#force rebuild of dkms packages (virtualbox, nvidia, fglrx, broadcom, ndiswrapper)
#part of mx-packageinstaller

[[ $(dpkg-query --show $1 2>/dev/null && echo $?) ]] || exit 0

for i in $(dpkg-query -l |grep "\-dkms" |awk '{print $2'}); do
 dpkg-reconfigure $i |tee -a /var/log/rebuild-dkms.log
done

exit 0

Return to “Website”