[Social Network] Mastodon

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
k_sz

[Social Network] Mastodon

#1 Post by k_sz »

Hi there,

I was updating my forum profile and, while reading the long list of social networks, i realized that i have no personal SN account anymore since i've quitted Facebook years ago and Twitter is... let's call it "messy".

I've been thinking about using SN that is missing from the list : Mastodon (open source, GPL3).
https://joinmastodon.org/
Documentation : https://github.com/tootsuite/documentation

Do you know or use this network ? What do you think of it ? and, further, ir it hasn't been already created, would it be a good idea to create an antiX/MX instance there ? Since it seems that the OpenSource/GNU/Linux/BSD communities are well established there, would it be a good medium to at least promote your OS ?
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: [Social Network] Mastodon

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks for bringing this up. It sounds interesting for sure, but I don't see how it would fit with MX Linux. Things may well change though, so I'm not slamming the door!

1) We're not really interested in setting up and maintaining a local instance, for lack of time and personnel, never mind server space.
2) Most users are very familiar with Twitter and Facebook and are often already using it, so there is no learning curve.
3) It is a lot of work just to maintain the ones we have going now, and the people doing that are already pretty stretched.

Other MX Devs might disagree and, if they do, I guarantee that you will hear from them!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

Interesting for sure. And at this time I agree with the points Jerry stated.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

namida12

#4 Post by namida12 »

k_sz wrote:Hi there,

I was updating my forum profile and, while reading the long list of social networks, i realized that i have no personal SN account anymore since i've quitted Facebook years ago and Twitter is... let's call it "messy".

I've been thinking about using SN that is missing from the list : Mastodon (open source, GPL3).
https://joinmastodon.org/
Documentation : https://github.com/tootsuite/documentation

Do you know or use this network ? What do you think of it ? and, further, ir it hasn't been already created, would it be a good idea to create an antiX/MX instance there ? Since it seems that the OpenSource/GNU/Linux/BSD communities are well established there, would it be a good medium to at least promote your OS ?
Reading the numerous FAQ now. Not interested in running a AntiX/MX presence but PM me with your instance or name as I do not know enough yet, but looks like it could be interesting place to check daily as i am becoming bored with my tumblr presence.

arjaybe

#5 Post by arjaybe »

I've never been on FB or Twitter, but I am on Mastodon. I've seen some mentions of MX there, including by me. Naturally, I go by @arjaybe.
Green Comet
Space particles.

Artim

#6 Post by Artim »

I am on [url=http: diasporaproject.org]Diaspora[/url]. Mastodon uses the OStatus and ActivityPub protocols, so cannot federate with Diaspora at all. Diaspora currently federates with Friendica, Hubzilla, Socialhome and GangGo, all via the Diaspora federation protocol.

When I went to the MX-Linux social networks page, it lists Mastodon, which can link to some other federated sites, but not the ones I have listed.

Is there a possibility of an MX-Linux presence on the others? I'm asking because the social networks page offers this:
If we have missed something, please let us know on the Forum.
Mastodon is kinda sorta like Twitter (microblogging), and Diaspora is kinda sorta more like Facebook (macroblogging). It is very active and there are a few of us MX-Linux fans there!

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not quite sure how to answer this, but thanks for bringing it up.

We have no objection to others setting up social media sites for MX, but don't have the resources to manage or maintain them ourselves.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Artim

#8 Post by Artim »

I'm a full-time student and live on a farm with 12 zillion chores to do every day before and after school, so I really don't have time to manage an official or unofficial page. Hopefully another "Diasporian" will see this and volunteer! Thanks

abbreviatedman

#9 Post by abbreviatedman »

I'm just starting to get into Mastodon... the Linux Rocks community seems to be where we would go if we want to hang with other enthusiasts and represent MX.
ThinkPad x220
16 GBs of RAM
120-GB SSD
Greatest Of All ThinkPads

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

Artim wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 pm I am on [url=http: diasporaproject.org]Diaspora[/url]. Mastodon uses the OStatus and ActivityPub protocols, so cannot federate with Diaspora at all. Diaspora currently federates with Friendica, Hubzilla, Socialhome and GangGo, all via the Diaspora federation protocol.

When I went to the MX-Linux social networks page, it lists Mastodon, which can link to some other federated sites, but not the ones I have listed.

Is there a possibility of an MX-Linux presence on the others? I'm asking because the social networks page offers this:
If we have missed something, please let us know on the Forum.
Mastodon is kinda sorta like Twitter (microblogging), and Diaspora is kinda sorta more like Facebook (macroblogging). It is very active and there are a few of us MX-Linux fans there!
I think this is the correct diaspora link??? https://diasporafoundation.org/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Website”