-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Site describing MX as a 'product'?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mepis.org and other MEPIS Websites
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Site describing MX as a 'product'?

#31 Post by azrielle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Much ado about nothing, methinks!
People who are GREATLY into the GNU/Linux philosophy aren't likely to be users of MX, despite being SystemD-free. In the words of Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself!"
Acer V5-171 i5/3317u 12GB 11.6" MX17.1/Korora26/SolydX9/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/Mint 18.2 Xfce/Win7SP1 240GB SSD
Acer AO D257 Atom/n570 2GB 10" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 JWM/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

cpoakes
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#32 Post by cpoakes » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:16 am

qwertyblahblah wrote:I know it's it's just one instance of one word, it's not so paramount, I guess it's my left-wing sensibilities that make it annoying for me.
If you frame it a little more to the (Marxist) left, you can distinguish between commodities and products. Commodities are products offered for sale on the market. See also: Commodity Fetishism which distorts social relationships into economic ones. FOSS creates products which may be leveraged as commodities but prioritize the social relationships over the economic ones.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#33 Post by tascoast » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

I can see an argument for a more informative menu tile (eg. resources), notwithstanding that MX is the product of many contributors and individual efforts, produced by such collaborative efforts.

Producing a driver's license or enjoying home garden produce as the product of one's own efforts....

I believe contemporary commercial use of the terminology has somewhat dominated a term with many applications, not least in mathematics, where the notion of 'result' is a somewhat truer reflection of the intent.

Since the term product is not used elsewhere on the website, the debate over 'product' is one for a much wider audience and cultural usage, as I see it. A more relevant menu entry perhaps, but not for the OP's argued reason, I'd suggest. Australian usage of product does indeed have commercial connotations in some contexts, but not as strongly as in other nations, I imagine.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Return to “Website”