Site describing MX as a 'product'?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
qwertyblahblah

Site describing MX as a 'product'?

#1 Post by qwertyblahblah »

I've meant to mention this for a while now. The description of MX as a 'product' on the main site was jarring when I first saw it, but it's more than that, the word is wrong and a big deal. Distros of GNU/Linux are not commercial products, they're community 'projects'. A product implies something being sold, or at least a tangible thing, a good to be exchanged. Isn't this true? Can you guys change that one word?
Last edited by qwertyblahblah on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

Re: Site describing MX as a 'product'?

#2 Post by richb »

Product
noun

a thing produced by labor.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

the word is wrong and a big deal...can you guys change that one word?
Nothing anywhere on the Home page suggests a commercial interest, so it's definitely not a big deal to most of the universe. A product is by definition something produced.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

qwertyblahblah

#4 Post by qwertyblahblah »

richb wrote:Product
noun

a thing produced by labor.
That's exactly why GNU/Linux distros aren't products. A distro as I said is not a tangible finished thing, or made at a cost and with a value to be exchanged for. Even if you mean it in the looser, immaterial and at least possibly non-commercial sense, using it implies that the focus of MX is on an 'end output', which isn't fair or right. The word 'project' on the other hand gets at the purpose of a Linux distro. That it's a result of and will continue to evolve through collaborative development efforts. And indeed the word project better covers what's under that dropdown category on the front page of the site.

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

I have no objection to project and will not object if changed. But it is not something I have any passion for.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

malspa

#6 Post by malspa »

I can see the OP's point, kinda -- the word "Products" could be changed to something else there. I looked at a few other distros' main pages (antiX's, for example), just for comparison. I don't know if it's a big deal, though -- it isn't something that has ever bothered me. :happy:

Paul..

#7 Post by Paul.. »

qwertyblahblah wrote:That's exactly why GNU/Linux distros aren't products. A distro as I said is not a tangible finished thing, or made at a cost and with a value to be exchanged for. Even if you mean it in the looser, immaterial and at least possibly non-commercial sense, using it implies that the focus of MX is on an 'end output', which isn't fair or right. The word 'project' on the other hand gets at the purpose of a Linux distro. That it's a result of and will continue to evolve through collaborative development efforts. And indeed the word project better covers what's under that dropdown category on the front page of the site.
Can you tell us why this is such a hot button for you?

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

qwertyblahblah

#8 Post by qwertyblahblah »

Paul.. wrote:
qwertyblahblah wrote:That's exactly why GNU/Linux distros aren't products. A distro as I said is not a tangible finished thing, or made at a cost and with a value to be exchanged for. Even if you mean it in the looser, immaterial and at least possibly non-commercial sense, using it implies that the focus of MX is on an 'end output', which isn't fair or right. The word 'project' on the other hand gets at the purpose of a Linux distro. That it's a result of and will continue to evolve through collaborative development efforts. And indeed the word project better covers what's under that dropdown category on the front page of the site.
Can you tell us why this is such a hot button for you?
I know it's it's just one instance of one word, it's not so paramount, I guess it's my left-wing sensibilities that make it annoying for me. I use Linux because it's not designed to be bought and sold. The word 'product' suggests a distro at least could be. I know MX isn't, so that's the completely wrong impression to give. A Linux distro is a project rather than just a product because it is free and open source.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

,quote]
I know it's it's just one instance of one word[/quote]...and in a menu, never in any text on the site. A MX Linux is indeed a project, a status that IMO is not about to be impugned by a single top menu entry.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

clicktician

#10 Post by clicktician »

I think software is a product regardless of how it's procured or acquired. I don't think price is relevant. Many mistakenly believe that open source or freeware has no cost. I can assure them that the costs are very real, and very high. Whether or not the consumer is charged for these costs doesn't change anything about the software.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Return to “Website”