Site describing MX as a 'product'?

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
azrielle

Re: Site describing MX as a 'product'?

#31 Post by azrielle »

Much ado about nothing, methinks!
People who are GREATLY into the GNU/Linux philosophy aren't likely to be users of MX, despite being SystemD-free. In the words of Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself!"
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

cpoakes

#32 Post by cpoakes »

qwertyblahblah wrote:I know it's it's just one instance of one word, it's not so paramount, I guess it's my left-wing sensibilities that make it annoying for me.
If you frame it a little more to the (Marxist) left, you can distinguish between commodities and products. Commodities are products offered for sale on the market. See also: Commodity Fetishism which distorts social relationships into economic ones. FOSS creates products which may be leveraged as commodities but prioritize the social relationships over the economic ones.

tascoast

#33 Post by tascoast »

I can see an argument for a more informative menu tile (eg. resources), notwithstanding that MX is the product of many contributors and individual efforts, produced by such collaborative efforts.

Producing a driver's license or enjoying home garden produce as the product of one's own efforts....

I believe contemporary commercial use of the terminology has somewhat dominated a term with many applications, not least in mathematics, where the notion of 'result' is a somewhat truer reflection of the intent.

Since the term product is not used elsewhere on the website, the debate over 'product' is one for a much wider audience and cultural usage, as I see it. A more relevant menu entry perhaps, but not for the OP's argued reason, I'd suggest. Australian usage of product does indeed have commercial connotations in some contexts, but not as strongly as in other nations, I imagine.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Return to “Website”