test of new site

Forum for discussion and implementation of project work to enhance mxlinux.org and other MX Websites
peregrine
Administrator

Re: test of new site

#21 Post by peregrine »

On this forum you do not see a favicon? I see one, but it is the old mepis one. Will look for where you change that.
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX18 ------ Lenovo Yoga intel i7 7500 / MX-21

Adrian
Developer

#22 Post by Adrian »

Yeah, I don't see it in tab and in my saved bookmark, usually in Chrome when I load a site the favicon updates on the bookmark too. I do see the old mepis favicon in Firefox.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#23 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Testing. :needcoffee:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: biker Kernel: 4.8.1-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015
Please read this
Mow the lawn

antiX-Dave
Developer

#24 Post by antiX-Dave »

Peregrine is it possible to build a set of apache mod_rewrite rules to rewrite mepiscommunity.org to mxlinux.org rather than a redirect. I am assuming that the underlying url structure is the same just the domain is changed?

Gordon Cooper

#25 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Several hours behind the rest of the world, glad to say that new site working is well
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

BitJam
Developer

#26 Post by BitJam »

peregrine wrote:Just added a wildcard redirect for http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/
it works now
Maybe we should have it redirect to a landing page to let people know about the change so the can change their bookmarks, and so on. Also, if you have ready access to the logs of the original site then we can use the referer (sic) to find out which sites are still linking to the original site.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Adrian
Developer

#27 Post by Adrian »

I see now the favicon. Thanks!

antiX-Dave
Developer

#28 Post by antiX-Dave »

BitJam wrote:
peregrine wrote:Just added a wildcard redirect for http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/
it works now
Maybe we should have it redirect to a landing page to let people know about the change so the can change their bookmarks, and so on. Also, if you have ready access to the logs of the original site then we can use the referer (sic) to find out which sites are still linking to the original site.
+1 on the log file idea

richb
Administrator

#29 Post by richb »

But if it redirects to the new site why do we need a landing page? All redirects work for me
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

BitJam
Developer

#30 Post by BitJam »

richb wrote:But if it redirects to the new site why do we need a landing page? All redirects work for me
It is the polite thing to do. It lets people know there has been a change and they aren't getting hijacked nor is their memory faulty. It also lets them know in case they want to update their bookmarks.

Direct redirects are fine for now by relying on redirects from the old site going forward is crufty and is bound to cause additional problems down the road. For example, if people rely on redirects and aren't aware of the switch and the old site is down then they won't be able to get through even though the new site is working fine. We don't have to do this instantly but I think it would be good to do it in the next few days.

The landing page can use the referer (sic) field to create a link to the equivalent page on the new site.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “Website”